On Die, 2003-02-18 at 19:28, Dominik Szczerba wrote:
> 
> I very much apologize for my ignorance on kernel-package stuff. I just
> compiled the modules myself, and brute-force copied radeon.o into my
> /lib/modules. IT WORKS!!!!! No more errors, no unstabilities (well,
> still I cant login, I have to kill login window, login via console and
> then startx).

If you're still using my packages, have you read
/usr/share/doc/xserver-xfree86-dri-trunk/README.Debian ?

Keep in mind though that my packages are bleeding edge DRI CVS
snapshots, you may prefer to use Daniel Stone's 4.2.99.x packages.


> However, I get 20% less acceleration than with (older?) knoppix XFree...
> glxgears give exactly 1kfps (0.1 before), while knoppix reports 1.2kfps.
> It is not disaster, but I am just ambitious: why did it all happen, and
> how/if could it have been avoided with normal sid xfree... and still,
> why is knoppix faster?

Not sure. First of all, are you sure you haven't mixed up the 'frames in
5 seconds' and FPS values? I ask because it's an easy mistake, and 1200
frames in 5 seconds would be 440 fps, which is about what I'd expect
from 4.2.x .

Something else to keep in mind is that people have been bitten by BIOS
CPU throttling 'features', which might only trigger with newer DRI
components because the use of interrupts decreases CPU usage (set
RADEON_NO_IRQS=1 to test this).

Here's a list of the major components having an influence on glxgears
framerate, roughly sorted by relevance:

      * how up to date radeon_dri.so is (the newer the better)
      * how up to date the DRM (radeon.o kernel module) is (the newer
        the better)
      * whether page flipping (Option "EnablePageFlip", only in 4.2.99.x
        or later) is enabled (page flipping is faster)
      * the AGP transfer rate (beware, anything more than 1x may be
        unstable) and whether AGP fast writes (Option "AGPFastWrite")
        are enabled (may again be unstable)

YMMV depending on the status of each of these.

For your reference, I get 1400-1500 fps on this PowerBook G4/667 with a
Radeon 7500 Mobility running at AGP 4x with fast writes using my
packages.


-- 
Earthling Michel D�nzer (MrCooper)/ Debian GNU/Linux (powerpc) developer
XFree86 and DRI project member   /  CS student, Free Software enthusiast

_______________________________________________
XFree86 mailing list
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://XFree86.Org/mailman/listinfo/xfree86

Reply via email to