On the same topic of 8+24 overlay, my ibook, when running Apple's X11, provides 24 bit truecolor visuals and an 8 bit pseudocolor visual. Does anyone know how this is done? If I remember correctly, the video chip inside is an ATI Rage Mobility 128 and as far as I can tell ATI chips don't have hardware overlay features. Does this mean Apple is doing something in software? Their X11 is based on XFree86 4.2.1 but I think it's been modified quite a bit.
Malcolm
On Friday, June 27, 2003, at 12:24 AM, Andy Goth wrote:
On Thursday, June 26, 2003 12:39 pm, Mark Vojkovich wrote:8+24 requires hardware 8 bit overlay support. NVIDIA GeForce products do not have hardware 8 bit overlay nor do they support the 8+24 mode. The 8+24 option is only supported by some Matrox and 3Dlabs hardware.
I'm curious... can Xnest be used to run at a different color depth than the
host X server? I imagine it is technically possible for it to provide an
8bpp X server for Cadence, handle all palette issues and such to convert to
24bpp, and send the modified X protocol to the real server.
I've never used Xnest, so I'm just groping in the dark here, but the above
seems like a possibility.
Lodovico, why would setting your X server to run in 8bpp impact your display
resolution? Having a lower color depth should allow you to have more pixels
onscreen and off rather than less. Or maybe by resolution you simply mean
color resolution...
Another solution you may not have considered is running multiple X servers.
Run one at 24bpp for your normal work and another at 8bpp for Cadence and its
support tools. If you're using Red Hat, you would flip between the two with
Ctrl+Alt+F7 and Ctrl+Alt+F8. I know this would be a pain, but running
Cadence inside Xnest might not be much better.
The only "real" solution would be to support color depth emulation as a basic
feature common to all servers, but of course this would bloat XFree86 beyond
measure. Also, unless I'm mistaken, there's virtually no demand for this.
-- Andy Goth | [EMAIL PROTECTED] | http://ioioio.net/ End communication.
_______________________________________________ XFree86 mailing list [EMAIL PROTECTED] http://XFree86.Org/mailman/listinfo/xfree86
_______________________________________________ XFree86 mailing list [EMAIL PROTECTED] http://XFree86.Org/mailman/listinfo/xfree86

