On Sat, 28 Jun 2003, Malcolm Stevens wrote:

> On Friday, June 27, 2003, at 10:07 PM, Andy Goth wrote:
> 
> > On Friday, June 27, 2003 7:45 am, Malcolm Stevens wrote:
> >> On the same topic of 8+24 overlay, my ibook, when running Apple's X11,
> >> provides 24 bit truecolor visuals and an 8 bit pseudocolor visual.
> >> Does anyone know how this is done?  If I remember correctly, the video
> >> chip inside is an ATI Rage Mobility 128 and as far as I can tell ATI
> >> chips don't have hardware overlay features.  Does this mean Apple is
> >> doing something in software?  Their X11 is based on XFree86 4.2.1 but 
> >> I
> >> think it's been modified quite a bit.
> >
> > Forgive me if I'm totally wrong... I haven't had an Apple in my house 
> > since
> > the SE/30, so I'm just drawing on minimal observations.
> >
> > Maybe Photon allows different windows to have different color depths.  
> > Then a
> > modified XFree86 would have an easier time doing the same.
> 
> I don't follow.  Is Photon what Apple calls Quartz?  I was just curious 
> about it anyway.  I believe some of the windows X11 emulators/servers 
> do pseudocolor stuff in software.  The one I remember is from 
> hummingbird I think.

Photon is the name given by QNX to their own windowing system, it's 
nothing to do with Apple:  http://www.qnx.com/products/ps_photon/

Oisin Feeley

_______________________________________________
XFree86 mailing list
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://XFree86.Org/mailman/listinfo/xfree86

Reply via email to