On Friday, June 27, 2003 7:45 am, Malcolm Stevens wrote:
> On the same topic of 8+24 overlay, my ibook, when running Apple's X11,
> provides 24 bit truecolor visuals and an 8 bit pseudocolor visual.
> Does anyone know how this is done?  If I remember correctly, the video
> chip inside is an ATI Rage Mobility 128 and as far as I can tell ATI
> chips don't have hardware overlay features.  Does this mean Apple is
> doing something in software?  Their X11 is based on XFree86 4.2.1 but I
> think it's been modified quite a bit.

Forgive me if I'm totally wrong... I haven't had an Apple in my house since 
the SE/30, so I'm just drawing on minimal observations.

Maybe Photon allows different windows to have different color depths.  Then a 
modified XFree86 would have an easier time doing the same.

Aside from Cadence, is there any need for this feature?  Allegro and SDL and 
similar typically provide their own color depth emulation code, and I have 
written 8bpp-only code that displayed just fine on 32bpp displays and vice 
versa.  (But since it used Allegro the same program worked in MS-DOS, 
MS-Windows, fbcon, X11, and others...)

-- 
Andy Goth  |  [EMAIL PROTECTED]  |  http://ioioio.net/
End communication.

_______________________________________________
XFree86 mailing list
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://XFree86.Org/mailman/listinfo/xfree86

Reply via email to