On 18 Jun 2005, at 14:08, Ross Gohlke wrote:

> > Which version of XMail?
>
> 1.21 from source.
>
> > What are outputs of:  'lsof | grep -c XMail' and '/sbin/sysctl
> > kern.openfiles'?
>
> james# lsof | grep -c XMail
> 0
> james# /sbin/sysctl kern.openfiles
> kern.openfiles: 106

I was getting a gradual increase in open files such that maximum
allowed would be reached within about two weeks and XMail would stop
without any message to indicate it had.

> > I ran XMail 1.17 on FreeBSD 4.10 for some time without a problem
> > once
> configured. Now with XMail 1.21 on FreeBSD 5.3 as of Feb 6, I've
> never had it stable due to kqueue and possible hardware >
> incompatibilities. I'm considering move back to try XMail 1.17 and if
> that doesn't work a move to NetBSD 2.0.2.
>
> So should I downgrade to 1.17?
> Jeff mentioned a patch. Would this fix my problem? If so, where can I
> get it?

If it needs fixing at all, ie you see a build up of open files, then
it's worth trying the patch. Here the patch worked in that open files
didn't increase but I would have a system panic within a few days
whilst now unpatched I'm on 26 days uptime and restarting XMail twice
a week and open files are only hitting around 700 with maximum set at
2816. I'm slowly setting up a replacement server.

> > I've had similar errors from CtrlClnt when either command syntax was
> >
> wrong or had a misconfiguration. I no longer attempt to use CtrlClnt
> from a commandline, only from scripts.
>
> Not sure I understand how calling them from scripts would make a
> difference.

It's just that it lowers my chances of having mistyped the command.
Also some of the scripts can take parameters from a list.

David