On 19 Jun 2005, at 12:43, Jeff Buehler wrote:

> Your get system panics using the patch?  Are you certain you have the
> right one - I get nothing like that at all.  Perhaps you are running a
> service that uses the function (kqueue_stat in kern_event.c) and
> doesn't like it that I am not running?

Yep, it does seem to be related to presence of the patch, and the
patch does prevent open files from building up. A panic would almost
always occur after etc/rc.d/xmail stop, which is what I've always
used for stopping XMail.

I generated a patched kernel otherwise same as one I'm running now
and intend to use that on next reboot.

> Here are the modifications I use that work perfectly in 5.3 and 5.4 so
> far for me:
>
> /* OLD FUNCTION COMMENT OUT*/
> /*
> static int
> kqueue_stat(struct file *fp, struct stat *st, struct ucred
> *active_cred,
>     struct thread *td)
> {
>
>     return (ENXIO);
> }
> */
>
> /* NEW FUNCTION ADD */
>
> static int
> kqueue_stat(struct file *fp, struct stat *st, struct ucred
> *active_cred,
>     struct thread *td)
> {
>     struct kqueue *kq;
>     int error;
>
>     if ((error = kqueue_aquire(fp, &kq)))
>         return ENOENT;
>     KQ_LOCK(kq);
>     bzero((void *)st, sizeof(*st));
>     st->st_size = kq->kq_count;
>     kqueue_release(kq, 1);
>     KQ_UNLOCK(kq);
>     st->st_blksize = sizeof(struct kevent);
>     st->st_mode = S_IFIFO;
>     return (0);
> }

That's the one I've tried.

> also, I haven't seen these mails...are they in the list and I'm just
> missing them?

This will be my third email re this thread.