Your get system panics using the patch?  Are you certain you have the
right one - I get nothing like that at all.  Perhaps you are running a
service that uses the function (kqueue_stat in kern_event.c) and doesn't
like it that I am not running?

Here are the modifications I use that work perfectly in 5.3 and 5.4 so
far for me:

/* OLD FUNCTION COMMENT OUT*/
/*
static int
kqueue_stat(struct file *fp, struct stat *st, struct ucred *active_cred,
    struct thread *td)
{

    return (ENXIO);
}
*/

/* NEW FUNCTION ADD */

static int
kqueue_stat(struct file *fp, struct stat *st, struct ucred *active_cred,
    struct thread *td)
{
    struct kqueue *kq;
    int error;

    if ((error = kqueue_aquire(fp, &kq)))
        return ENOENT;
    KQ_LOCK(kq);
    bzero((void *)st, sizeof(*st));
    st->st_size = kq->kq_count;
    kqueue_release(kq, 1);
    KQ_UNLOCK(kq);
    st->st_blksize = sizeof(struct kevent);
    st->st_mode = S_IFIFO;
    return (0);
}

also, I haven't seen these mails...are they in the list and I'm just
missing them?

I would definately advice trying the patch, Ross - if it causes system
panics that you didn't get before as it seems to for David, then roll it
back.  Hopefully the FreeBSD team will fix this bug before too long -
they have been advised about it, but I don't know it's status...

Jeff