Hmmm - thats interesting.  The only aspect of your configuration that I
have no experience with is SmartDNSHost pointing to another system for
DNS resolution - I have never used SmartDNSHost.  Have you tried turning
that off?  Have you tried pointing it to another DNS server, such as one
provided by your ISP, especially a non-MS DNS solution just to verify it
has nothing to do with that?

Hotmail and Yahoo are both very busy, and very slow.  I would consider
latency issues when trying to resolve problems with these domains,
although using an A record rather than an MX record wouldn't seem to be
related to that.

Jeff