Francis,

This is the exact error I have had before.  I have the same setup - your
*whole* description below is *exactly* what I have.  I have had this problem
while on 1.15 & 1.17 also.  However at the time though, I did not know why
my emails were failing.
The only difference is that I have not had an issue with hotmail, usually it
is with some other domains.  Perhaps my users don't send to hotmail as much.
I have not had the time to debug it to an absolute end and offer proof, and
so the previous thread died.

I have tracked it down to the fact that every domain that I have had
problems with has had an A record for the domain & that A record resolves to
a different IP than that of the MX record.  This in itself is not a DNS
problem (normal dns operation).  But I have found that clearing xmail's dns
cache & restarting xmail resolves the problem for a while.  IIRC just
restarting xmail might be enough.

I actually used the SmartDNSHost only *after* I have troubles with MX & A
records, but while the problem *seems* to have reduced, it has not gone.

It does seem to be a logic issue in xmail's mx resolving code, but I have no
proof.
I expect that an Ethereal trace before and after is the only thing that can
be done to prove it.

Hopefully this info will help someone that has the time & the symptoms to
get to the bottom of it.

Rob :)