All

I have over some time been developing a web interface to play music is
similar fashion as XMMS2 (though not nearly as well). I started with mpg123
running in VMS but migrated to linux some years ago. For reason I ws never
able to determine, I could not get mpg123 to run as a direct command from
the http interface. I ended up using mplayer as the player until a recent
upgrade to debian 7 when it stopped playing mp3 files.
XMMS2 looks like an excellent candidate and if I can get it to work would
be happy to move the functionality out to it as it clearly better however,
I run into the same problem I had with mpg123:

I'd like to control the interface via exec commands from apache but again,
can't get xmms2 to run under the web.
Example

This command when run from command line does exactly as expected:

xmms2 play > /dev/null 2>&1 &

xmms2 play also works but added the redirection in case output was causing
problems.

The php code that executes this:

$substr = "xmms2 play";
echo $substr;
    $output = exec($substr);
echo "PID =".$output;

Pretty simple test. It produces:

xmms2 playPID =Could not connect to server at default path!

At least I have some clue now ...none of the others produced anything.

I have read the part in your pages that talk about the XMMS Path but I'm
afraid it is above me ... I just don't know linux well enough to translate
your instruction into what I should do on my system.

I believe  the cli (shell) can't find the deamon (which is running) when
the user is www-data (the apache web server). As I didn't do anything to
alllow my normal account to work at command line, I don't knw what to do
for the web server

Can someone post the (presumably) simple instructions?

Very grateful

Thanks and regards

BTW.  Happy to post my (working) code back if anyone is looking for a start
on this kind of interface.

Paul