Thanks for your responses. I responded directly to the email but of course,
should post here first. As explained, I had this (or something similar)
working for sometime using mplayer as the music player controlled by my
code via an exec() PHP command (execute a command line string) but after
upgrading from debian 6 to 7, it fails now with mplayer doing nothing , not
even an error  message or log entry etc. XMMS2 has much better
functionality and I'd be happy to implement if I can get the interface to
actually work. I've taken your comments and will. at first opportunity, try
the suggestions (day job may intervene).

Thank you both for taking the time to respond. I'll post any results back
here.

Regards