Xournalpp is written in C++ while Xournal is written in C :) They are very
different code-wise. In terms of feature sets, I'm not sure what the
current state of Xournal is feature-wise and how far it's gone since
Xournalpp was started. The last Xournal release I used was the one packaged
with Debian Squeeze, which didn't have support for inserting images and I
found that some documents used up a lot of RAM, so that's why I switched to
Xournalpp which was much less stable but had both of those problems fixed.
Since Xournalpp represented such a large rewrite there are things like the
sidebar, multi-page document views, different eraser types, latex input,
etc. that probably also don't exist in Xournal.

I suspect at this point, moving the features of Xournalpp into Xournal
would be a hefty task, so I'm not sure that's an option. Updating Xournalpp
to be GTK3 compatible should be possible, but there may be a number of
features Xournal now has that would also be difficult to port, I'm not sure.

Hope that helps,
Wilson