Hi,
Thanks I compiled the branch including the sidebar thumbnail previews.  It
works very well.  I adjusted the thumbnail size in the source code,  to make
the Beamer slides easier to read.
Luckily there was already a constant defined for scaling :)

Furthermore,  I added a little hack to keep the active thumbnail always on top
of the sidebar.  Thus,  I can always see the next two presentation slides.
Tested it yesterday and worked out very well.

For the projector view, I used the xrandr idea you proposed and it seems to
work stable.
As an intermediate solution for my feature request "dual view presentation
mode" I thought of adding a feature to xournal which reports the absolute
position of the drawing canvas (that should be easily obtainable from the gtk
api).
Those values could be feed to a xrandr call creating always the correct
settings independent of window movement or rescaling.
I even thought about sending those values out after a request via a socket or
even via dbus.
However,  all these features will work under Linux only.  Thus,  I am not sure
if that could ever be an official solution. Furthermore, the xrandr trick
basically rescales a part of screen A to screen B.  At the moment my laptop has
a higher resolution compared to the projector.  Thus,  my drawing canvas in
full screen is about 900x600 pixels.  Rescaling upward to the 1024x786 of the
projector  does not make a big difference.  But it might look much worse if
either the projectors resolution is much higher,  or if the drawing canvas gets
much smaller.

>oh, the best, best solution, would be for you to create xournal based
>widget that can be reused in any application. that would be really nice

Not sure what you mean by widget.  Do you mean a new gtk widget which by some
way contains the drawing canvas of a running xournal?
How to create the communication?  Socket,  dbus or does GTK has its own method
of program to program  communication?

Thanks for all the help and advices

Torwag