Pasi Lallinaho wrote:
> Jim Campbell wrote:
>>
>> Hi All,
>>

>> Although I was only there for two of the days, and Cody was sick for
>> one of those two days, Cody and I we were able to meet during UDS, and
>> talk about possible plans for the 10.04 release of Xubuntu.
>>

>> Of course we talked about some of the regular topics (and I'll have a
>> separate email about those), but I wanted to separate out a key
>> component of our plans from any discussions about regular
>> distro-related issues.  Specifically, we need to talk about team
>> leadership and team member roles.
>>
>> As you know, after several releases as the project lead for Xubuntu,
>> Cody wants to step down and assume the role of a regular contributor.
>> I spoke briefly with Daniel Holbach while at UDS, and the community
>> council would prefer that we attempt to come to a decision as a group
>> instead of just bringing the matter to the community council.  It
>> makes sense, as we should be self-directed rather than dependent on an
>> outside group to come to a decision that we may not like (and that may
>> not work for us).
>>

>> With that, it's really up to us to decide how we handle the
>> transition.  Do we want to continue to have a singular project
>> leader?  If so, what responsibilities would that entail, and who could
>> that be?  If we choose not to go that route, or if no one wishes to
>> assume that role, could a group of people assume particular leadership
>> roles?  What could this look like?
>>

>> We need to decide this as a community, so please share your thoughts.
>> What would be best for Xubuntu?  What would you like to see?  What
>> concerns do you have, and how could those concerns be addressed?  What
>> role(s) would you be willing and able to assume?  Feel free to share
>> any other questions or thoughts.
>>

>> Thanks very much,
>>

>> Jim
>>

> Thanks Jim for bringing this topic up. I appreciate it very much.
>
> With all respect to Cody, I think the singular project leader approach
> didn't work out too great on some of the situations. Too many times I
> thought there was this one guy who always could veto anything any other
> leader had done. This was discussed once thoroughly and as Cody said, he
> thought working with the rest of the team was easier and kind of more
> pleasant. And I couldn't agree more. There wasn't that much decisions to
> be done after that, so I don't know if this approach would have worked
> in the long run after all.
>
> Thank you again, Cody.
>
> So where am I coming here? Well, I think Xubuntu could benefit from
> several leadership roles. Maybe these leaders could form some kind of
> council to discuss some important things and bring a shared
> conclusion/settlement if the developer community seems to disagree a
> lot. If there still would be disagreement and the council couldn't come
> to any conclusion, then I think the leader for the particular team would
> [...]

I concur completely with Pasi,

A council of some sort is (almost) always the best way to handle
community projects. It allows more thought and process as well as serves
as a sort of fail-safe for when someone cannot perform their duties.

As a new member of the community I will continue to find my place within
it that best serves the users and further development of the system
itself. I have several ideas and criticisms I'd like to bring into
'play' concerning the Lucid development process and I think the council
idea would make it easier for smaller voices to be heard and considered.

- J