On 12/01/2016 08:34 AM, Chris Green wrote:
Can anyone recommend a music player with the following properties:-

     Can select and play direct from folders (and probably files), i.e.
     highlight a folder and play its contents.  No requirement to copy
     to playlist or anything like that.

     Doesn't require double-click (or at least has keyboard
     alternative) to play.  I.e.  I can highlight and *play* something
     without having to double-click.

If it has other abilities (i.e. video, internet radio, etc.) then
that's fine but they're not necessary.

This is to use on a laptop where double-clicking (for me anyway) is
awkward.  On my desktop I have a dedicated mouse button for double
clicking but this isn't possible on the laptop.

A program which 'imports' my music folder (with its deep hierarchy of
organisation as *I* want it) and allows me to play from this imported
layout is fine.  However most programs seem to think that flattening
the hierarchy is the thing to do, not for me.

IF you are opening files/folders from the desktop, you can turn-on one-click:

 * Right-click on a blank area of the desktop
 * Select Desktop Settings
 * Click on the Icons tab
 * Tick the box for Single Click to activate items

Similar approaches can be taken in file browsers by changing appropriate
options.

I prefer to open a music player, e.g., VLC. Navigate to the appropriate folder. Select items and add them to a play list.

--
Roger
linux....@gmail.com