I downloaded from the daily site and put on USB stick with usb-creator-gtk

I did use 'something else' to install to an empty partition alongside Xubuntu
16.04 & Win 10 (work software needs it) - would that make a difference?

---- On Sat, 07 Apr 2018 12:28:33 +0100 Tim Uckun <timuc...@gmail.com>
wrote ----

During my installation there was a prompt to remove the external disk.

On Sat, Apr 7, 2018 at 9:18 PM, Leigh S <le...@sutherland.pt> wrote:

Hi,

Remove Installation Media:

I can definitely say that there was no indication to remove installation media
as I have seen on other distributions, as I distinctly remember thinking that I
should take it out but as it was not written then I wouldn't risk it.

Probably it's something that everyone just 'knows'.

Its something that could be thought to be quite trivial, but I think that it is
the kind of thing that could have put me (and other newcomers like me) off
carrying on with using Xubuntu / Linux

USB 3.0 ports:

Is this common (I found this solution from somewhere, so it must be I guess)?

Is it only on certain hardware?

New, successful tests:

I have now got  pulseaudio-dlna streaming to the RPi OSMC RPi's around the
house, and also to my RPi based Logitiech Media Server / Moode audio powered
house synced Hifi system

Also used the appimage of Nextcloud desktop sync app and that all works (but
integrating appimages into the desktop is always a stumbling block for me)

Testing

I am sure its easy enough - I have been researching advanced (composite)
engineering materials etc for over 20 years and am (physical) testing based so
I will probably at least understand the thought processes - but as is the case
for everything, if you don't understand the terminology then you quickly get
lost (on re-read sounds like I'm put out, but I'm not at all :)  ).

Please take this as trying to be helpful - My thoughts were, 'surely they are
only looking for people who already know what they are doing if the testing
instructions are written like this'

I will try the IRC, thanks for the link as I have often wondered what IRC is :)

My last time really doing any coding etc was with a ZX81 and then in the early
80's at Uni in FORTRAN and since then only things like SIMULINK & R (&
them always with the help of expert colleagues), so its the terminology and the
how the whole community process works that baffles me most

Anyway, the main thing is that the whole idea of open source and communities is
so appealing to me as someone who grew up in the late 70's with punk - so I
should get off my @rse and help.

But first I will have to get the washing in and get lunch ready before my wife
comes back from work or she will have my b@lls for garters - oh how the mighty
have fallen.

Leigh

---- On Sat, 07 Apr 2018 06:38:53 +0100 flocculant <floccul...@gmx.co.uk>