Hi,

I have noticed a quite interesting GitHub feature which allows to protect
the specified branches. A short summary from [1]:

A protected branch:
- Can't be force pushed
- Can't be deleted
- Can't have changes merged into it until required status checks pass
- Can't have changes merged into it until required reviews are approved
- Can't be edited or have files uploaded to it from the web

See [1] and [2] for more details.

AFAIK some developers use forks mainly because they are afraid of messing
the original repositories. With protected branches that should not happen.

Additionally it would strictly enforce PR reviews (we do that already
so I see no problem with that).

IMHO a nice feature, I'm just not sure which branches we could protect.
Obviously the old maintenance branches, I'm not sure about the "master"
branch, maybe it would be too strict.

What do you think about it? Should we use this GitHub feature?

We could use the agile approach, try it in a few selected repos and see
how it works...

Comments?

[1] https://help.github.com/articles/about-protected-branches/
[2] https://help.github.com/articles/configuring-protected-branches/