On 16/09/16 09:12, Ladislav Slezak wrote:
> Hi,
Hi,
> I have noticed a quite interesting GitHub feature which allows to protect
> the specified branches. A short summary from [1]:
>
> A protected branch:
> - Can't be force pushed
> - Can't be deleted
> - Can't have changes merged into it until required status checks pass
> - Can't have changes merged into it until required reviews are approved
> - Can't be edited or have files uploaded to it from the web
>
> See [1] and [2] for more details.
>
> AFAIK some developers use forks mainly because they are afraid of messing
> the original repositories. With protected branches that should not happen.
I'm one of those developers :)
> Additionally it would strictly enforce PR reviews (we do that already
> so I see no problem with that).
I agree. I think that we're quite strict about that (that's a good thing
from my POV) so it should not be a problem. And if there's some special
case we can always disable that feature for a while.
> IMHO a nice feature, I'm just not sure which branches we could protect.
> Obviously the old maintenance branches, I'm not sure about the "master"
> branch, maybe it would be too strict.
>

> What do you think about it? Should we use this GitHub feature?
>
> We could use the agile approach, try it in a few selected repos and see
> how it works...
>
> Comments?
I would give it a try in a few repositories and let's see how it works.

Regards,
Imo

--
Imobach González Sosa