On 11/7/05, Fidel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Just because I don't post on this list constantly with me me me concerns
> doesn't mean I'm new either to this list or to del. They aren't hidden at
> the bottom.. They aren't under hidden div's... How exactly aren't they
> better? Should they be two inches closer to your eyes?

I prefer some of the old layout. I'm also curious as to why I prefer
the old way, hence my introspection.

Think of it as an eye exam. One or two? One. Okay. One or two? Two. and so on.

> one think it's an improvement. Saying that "the link isn't in this corner or
> over here" is like saying that your too lazy to move your mouse to the link.

Nope, it's like saying that I want to follow the most efficient path
to the input. And I'm also curious about user expectations.

But what's wrong with lazy? I like keyboard driven UIs. When I use
xemacs I don't use the dropdown menu to initiate a
query-replace-regexp. that's lazy. it's also good.

> Seriously a computer screen isn't that big of a space. It's clean, It hasn't
> cluttered up the page with crap that you don't need to see. If I act like
> I'm a more knowledgable user than you... Maybe I am. I've learned most of

I doubt it. I may sound more naive due to my writing style, but I am not.

> what I know about computers by clicking things, or messing up crap and then
> fixing it for myself. If YOU want del to look and act exactly how YOU want

Well, exactly. How does one impart this philosophy to someone else?
I've spent a lot of time trying to give people the mindset that all
they have to do is futz around with something and they'll be able to
figure out. Is there a way to design a UI such that you instantiate
this type of mindset in a novice user? I'd like to think so, and I'd
like to figure it out.

What does the mind expect when faced with this set of tasks? where
should the verbs be on the page? and so on.

> it... Use firefox and download a couple of plugins, including greasemonkey
> amongst others. The sites you look at can be arranged and look how you want
> them to. No, really they can. The designers of the site are working for a

Consider this case: Someone who works for a company with 80,000
doesn't want to tie up developers on a tool when they should be
getting a product out the door.

For a hobby, sure I might slap together some scripts. that's not an
enterprise solution.

--
sheila