Hi Pietro

I wouldn't interpret Joshuas move as you do.
It's just that the url-pages tended to become very big. My firefox asked
me constantly about "a script is slowing down..." when I was browsing
url-pages. I consider Joshuas move as good.

Then, on the other hand, if you depend on that data then you are
screenscraping the site which is forbidden by robots.txt anyway..

I also have got a site that depends on delicious data
(deli.ckoma.net/stats, delicious statistics) and have mailed with
delicious about the use of the data. They are generally open to give
away data for academic research so I think there will be a way to have a
"cooperation" with delicious.

greets
Philipp Keller

Am Donnerstag, den 09.03.2006, 16:57 -0800 schrieb Pietro Speroni di
Fenizio:
> This decision will kill cloudalicious and any
> possibility to have any external  search.
> Cloudalicious is the number one program used by people
> who are making academic research on delicious and
> social bookmarking web sites.
> 
> Without it all this line of reseach is gone, and since
> you are not interested is offering this info via API
> (I asked for it at least 5 times, and I was always
> ignored) what people will do is make similar search
> using smaller web sites (the clones). I have contacted
> the admin from some of those sites and, at least 2,
> are very happy to provide this info openly.
> 
> Sorry, Joshua, but this is exactly the kind of
> decision that I could see a Yahoo service taking, and
> the reason why I was so weary about del. being bought.
> It is shortsighted. Very.
> 
> Just add it at the end. Put it with a css hide
> command. Put it with an API (that would be perfect and
> would give a big kick to all the services that are
> using delicious, plus cutting on bandwidth for all the
> sites that are using it). But do make it available.
> 
> And you know what, those service are important to make
> delicious big as much as the users that are inside.
> Services like cloudalicious, my delicious mind map,
> vox delicii, and on and on, all the ones from 
> http://pchere.blogspot.com/2005/02/absolutely-delicious-complete-tool.html
> are what is really making this service stand out.
> There are about 100 of those right now. How many can
> the clones count? 5? 20?
> 
> Why do you think I am still here after I ranted on my
> blog at the acquisition that I was leaving.
> 
> Also, you never gave a damn about having the site
> being pretty, and that was what made your site useful.
> You had all the tags for each user; all the tags for
> each url. All the info, there, directly, no prob. Of
> course it does not look nice. It looks useful.
> 
> You have read my entries on tag cloud. You have seen
> how this data is important.
> 
> If you were using that data well to make the relaed
> item, ok. Delicious would be a well done site, closed,
> but ok. Like Amazon. I wouldn't agree, I wouldn't be
> part of it, but I would respect the decision, again,
> like Amazon.
> 
> But the "relevant site" function does not use anything
> that even resembles a metric. And now you take off
> from the blogsphere the possibility for people to
> build a better service. How could that be a good
> decision?
>  
> /rant
> 
> Pietro
> 
> 
> Ok, it's 2 am, here. goodnight to all the list.
> --- Joshua Schachter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> 
> > Mostly because it seems like infoclutter and not
> > actually useful to 
> > people, especially when there are lots of bookmarks
> > of the url. 
> > Additionally the file transfered is quite large.
> > 
> > I really don't get the feeling that the view as
> > displayed before was 
> > particularly useful to most users.
> > 
> > I'm considering a different view when there is a
> > lower number of 
> > bookmarks of the url itself.
> > 
> 
> 
> __________________________________________________
> Do You Yahoo!?
> Tired of spam?  Yahoo! Mail has the best spam protection around 
> http://mail.yahoo.com 
> _______________________________________________
> discuss mailing list
> [email protected]
> http://lists.del.icio.us/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/discuss
> 
> 

_______________________________________________
discuss mailing list
[email protected]
http://lists.del.icio.us/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/discuss

Reply via email to