> It's almost certainly related to Erlang (SSL) distribution between the
> Yaws and the YXA node... I was going to say that you should check that
> the same magic cookie is used for both nodes, but since it works for you
> when you skipped SSL the cookie can't be the problem.

That was the problem: Bruce Fitzsimons very helpfully informed me of the
SSL issues present in R11B-5 and provided links to his patches, which
thankfully work flawlessly.

As they are surely useful to others, here are his links:
http://www.erlang.org/pipermail/erlang-bugs/2007-July/000386.html and
http://www.erlang.org/pipermail/erlang-patches/2007-July/000184.html

BTW, welcome back and congratulations of the birth of your baby.

Best regards,
Peter Krnjevic