Fredrik,

Please see my inline comments.

Thanks,

kaiduan

On Mon, Nov 30, 2009 at 4:14 AM, Fredrik Thulin <f...@it.su.se> wrote:
> On Fri, 2009-11-27 at 15:08 -0500, Kaiduan Xie wrote:
>> Thank you Fredrik for the clarification on the rationale.
>
> You are most welcome.
>
>> In fact, spawning a process for each request is not creating
>> performance bottleneck at all. I just want to understand the reason.
>>
>> Logger creates a lot of overhead in the code. Now no matter if the log
>> level is big enough, YXA formats the message. I would like to see a
>> log level in configuration, and check the log level before formatting
>> the message. Ejabberd has nice way to do the log, it only reads the
>> log level from configuration when system is up, and generates a module
>> to handle the log. Whenever you need to log, it does not read from the
>> configuration anymore. Anytime, you change the log level, it dynamic
>> generates the logger module.
>
> Yes, (debug) logging is expensive in YXA today.
>
> Ejabberd's solution sounds neat, but I think it should be measured
> against the much simpler variant of adding a case statement checking the
> log level before calling format_msg in logger:do_log/3.

Then we need to save the log level to ETS or Mnesia, and every time,
you want to log, we need to read from ETS/Mnesia. Compared with other
cost, for example, paring SIP message, reading ETS/Mnesia is not a big
issue. But Ejabberd's solution is neat. I also would  like to add line
number and module name to the logger.

Where can I check out the code from trunk?