Note: Beware! Default reply-to is to the list.

Yep - that's why I have a shorcut to perl -cw that I run first. When I get time I want to make a simple shell script that will run perl -c and then only run perltidy if that is successful.

Vim is well worth persevering with - you will soon be putting little 'wq' typos i all your M$ docs :-) Best "beginig vi" tip I was given was to hit the Esc key more than once to be sure - it's quicker to hit it a few times than think about what mode you are in.
I installed perltidy utility (couldn't get it installed from cpan? so
downloaded the file and did the make stuff). Now playing with it. I
find that it doesn't pick up errors as claimed. I added an unmatched
'}' in the test file and no error noted, no .ERR file written, just
reformatted the code with the error included. ???