Sounds like a plan. Ted pointed this out to us so I’ve put him on and SOFA said he was interested as did Guy. Anyone else jump right on.

Jim L - US << Ted B US << SOFA – US << Guy K – US <<

Jim L

From: Zappa-List@yahoogroups.com [mailto:Zappa-List@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Conehead
Sent: Wednesday, January 25, 2006 4:21 PM
To: Zappa-List@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [Zappa-List] VO:1969 Amougies EURO-Vine

OK folks,
while Jim L over in the U.S. has already offered the FZ Lost Amougies
jams coupled with the 1981 Ritz NYC show as a vine (#11568) ...

how about I kick off a similar thing over here for the folks in Europe
??

FRANK ZAPPA

November, 17, 1981, The Ritz, NYC

Master Cassette recorded from WLIR >NAK BX-300>WAV (SB Audigy)>CD-R>EAC>Flac

Front end> Make Torrent

This is the complete show I compiled from flacs received from BengoFury. The only things I did were to name the files, replace the incomplete tracks with complete ones, and patch in the last part of the last track.

It boggles my mind that this particular show has never been selected for a listening session. Great sound, awesome guitar, good set, tight band, and Al DiMeola shredding over a world premier and a Chris Cross cover sung by the drum roadie. This show easily makes my top 10.

Enjoy!!!

Disc 1

01. Treacherous Cretins (fades in)

02. Montana

03. Easy Meat

04. You Are What You Is

05. Mudd Clubb

06. The Meek Shall Inherit Nothing

07. Dumb All Over

08. Heavenly Bank Account

09. Suicide Chump

10. Jumbo Go Away

11. Envelopes

12. Drowning Witch

13. What's New In Baltimore

14. Moggio

15. Bamboozled By Love

16. Sinister Footwear

Disc 2

17. Stevie's Spanking

18. Cocaine Decisions

19. Nig Biz (fades out)

20. Doreen

21. Goblin Girl (fades in)

22. Black Page #2 (q: Smoke on the Water)

23. Tryin' To Grow A Chin

24. Strictly Genteel

25. Al DiMeola Intro

26. Clownz On Velvet* (world premier)

27. Ride Like The Wind**

28. Zoot Allures

29. This Is My Story (fades in)

30. Whippin Post (Reggae Post)

31. Watermelon In Easter Hay

With Al DiMeola on guitar (*)

With Al DiMeola on guitar and Brian Peters on vocals (**)

Frank Zappa

Amougies (Belgium), Actuel Festival

24 to 27 October 1969

source: audience recording

This is an amazing find that I'm sure will delight fans of Frank Zappa and the bands concerned alike. A little background : the Actuel festival was organized by the publication of the same name (who, under different editorship, went on to become a prime mover of the French counterculture in the early to mid-70s) in collaboration with the fledgling BYG label. It was originally going to take place in or near Paris, but French authorities forbid it and the marquee was eventually set up a few miles outside the French border, on Belgian soil. It took place over 5 nights, entertaining an audience of 15-20,000 to a unique mixture of progressive pop, free jazz and contemporary music.

Frank Zappa was present at the festival (well, the first four days, it seems) in a twofold capacity. First, as Captain Beefheart's road manager; secondly, as M.C., assisting Pierre Lattes, a famous radio/TV presenter at the time (and the pop music editor for Actuel magazine). The latter task proved problematic given FZ's very limited mastery of French, the prevailing language among the audience, who themselves didn't seem to understand much English. Instead, FZ relinquished his M.C. job for one of occasional guest guitarist.

As far as I know, with the exception of FZ's performance with Captain Beefheart, this collects all of his jams with participating bands. A couple of films, directed by Jerome Laperrousaz and Jean-Noel Roy, came out in 1970 but were instantly banned because of objections from various bands (most notably Pink Floyd) whose permission hadn't been properly secured. Zappa's performance with Beefheart is included in one of them, and since the audio of the film (unlike the film itself) is in circulation, possibly in better sound than I could provide, I decided not to include it.

The whereabouts of the master tapes for the festival, if any exist, are unknown. What recordings are circulating are either the soundtrack of the film, or taken from radio broadcasts (on Luxemburg's RTL and Belgium's RTBF). The source used here is an audience recording made by a young French member of the audience using a now antiquated amateur tape recorder. The original tapes have been newly transferred, but even so, the sound quality is rather poor. Still, it seems to be the only source available at this time, so that will have to do for now.

Most legendary, of course, is Frank Zappa's jam with Pink Floyd on a very extended "Interstellar Overdrive". Apparently, despite the wealth of Pink Floyd bootlegs in circulation, no one seems to have their Amougies set, so this will probably delight a lot of people. Browing various PF-related websites, there even seems to be a debate on whether the jam ever took place. Well, here is the final proof that it did.

Now, the tracklist:

1. Aynsley Dunbar's Retaliation: unknown title (7:08)

[October 24]

Victor Brox (vocals, harmonica); John Moorshead (guitar); Alex (Erroneous) Dmochowski (bass); Aynsley Dunbar (drums)

2. Pink Floyd: Interstellar Overdrive (20:25)

[October 25]

David Gilmour (guitar); Richard Wright (organ); Roger Waters (bass); Nick Mason (drums)

3. Caravan: If I Could Do It All Over Again, I'd Do It All Over You (7:55)

[October 26]

Pye Hastings (guitar & vocals); David Sinclair (keyboards); Richard Sinclair (bass & vocals); Richard Coughlan (drums)

4. Blossom Toes: unknown title (26:10)

[October 26]

Brian Godding (guitar, vocals & keyboards); Jim Cregan (guitar & vocals); Brian Belshaw (bass & vocals); Kevin Westlake (drums)

5. Sam Apple Pie: unknown title (6:04)

[October 27]

Sam Sampson (vocals & harmonica); Danny Barnes (lead guitar); Andy Johnson (slide guitar); Bob Renny (bass & vocals); Lee Baxter Hayes Jr (drums)

(Note: I understand FZ jammed with some of the free jazz players. Sadly the taper was into rock, not jazz, and didn't bother recording any of the jazz acts.)

I intend to seed some of the individual performances in the near future, so watch out. I must thank the taper, JJB, for his permission to seed these rare treasures, making them available freely to all via DaD in affinity with its non-profit philosophy.

Personals Fun family vacation Fun ride
Family fun Fun christmas gift Fun apron