Members,

Jim L - US << Ted B US << SOFA – US << Guy K – US << Joe.DP - US<<
Mike W. - US - [EMAIL PROTECTED] <<

I can't wait to get this one !

Mike

--- In Zappa-List@yahoogroups.com, "Joe Della Posta" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> Jim L - US << Ted B US << SOFA - US << Guy K - US << Joe.DP - US<<
>

> I would like to join in also.  Sound like a real keeper.  Any time
I can hear Zappa play it worth it.

> Regards:
>
> Joe.DP

November, 17, 1981, The Ritz, NYC

>   Sounds like a plan. Ted pointed this out to us so I've put him
on and SOFA said he was interested as did Guy. Anyone else jump
right on.

>   Jim L - US << Ted B US << SOFA - US << Guy K - US <<
>

>   Jim L

-----------

[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Conehead
>   Sent: Wednesday, January 25, 2006 4:21 PM
>   To: Zappa-List@yahoogroups.com
>   Subject: [Zappa-List] VO:1969 Amougies EURO-Vine
>

>   OK folks,
>   while Jim L over in the U.S. has already offered the FZ Lost
Amougies
>   jams coupled with the 1981 Ritz NYC show as a vine (#11568) ...
>
>   how about I kick off a similar thing over here for the folks in
Europe
>   ??
>
>   FRANK ZAPPA
>
>   November, 17, 1981, The Ritz, NYC
>
>   Master Cassette recorded from WLIR >NAK BX-300>WAV (SB Audigy)
>CD-R>EAC>Flac
>
>   Front end> Make Torrent
>

>   This is the complete show I compiled from flacs received from
BengoFury. The only things I did were to name the files, replace the
incomplete tracks with complete ones, and patch in the last part of
the last track.

>   It boggles my mind that this particular show has never been
selected for a listening session. Great sound, awesome guitar, good
set, tight band, and Al DiMeola shredding over a world premier and a
Chris Cross cover sung by the drum roadie. This show easily makes my
top 10.

>   Enjoy!!!
>

>   Disc 1
>
>   01. Treacherous Cretins (fades in)
>
>   02. Montana
>
>   03. Easy Meat
>
>   04. You Are What You Is
>
>   05. Mudd Clubb
>
>   06. The Meek Shall Inherit Nothing
>
>   07. Dumb All Over
>
>   08. Heavenly Bank Account
>
>   09. Suicide Chump
>
>   10. Jumbo Go Away
>
>   11. Envelopes
>
>   12. Drowning Witch
>
>   13. What's New In Baltimore
>
>   14. Moggio
>
>   15. Bamboozled By Love
>
>   16. Sinister Footwear
>

>   Disc 2
>

>   17. Stevie's Spanking
>
>   18. Cocaine Decisions
>
>   19. Nig Biz (fades out)
>
>   20. Doreen
>
>   21. Goblin Girl (fades in)
>
>   22. Black Page #2 (q: Smoke on the Water)
>
>   23. Tryin' To Grow A Chin
>
>   24. Strictly Genteel
>
>   25. Al DiMeola Intro
>
>   26. Clownz On Velvet* (world premier)
>
>   27. Ride Like The Wind**
>
>   28. Zoot Allures
>
>   29. This Is My Story (fades in)
>
>   30. Whippin Post (Reggae Post)
>
>   31. Watermelon In Easter Hay
>

>   With Al DiMeola on guitar (*)
>
>   With Al DiMeola on guitar and Brian Peters on vocals (**)
>

>   Frank Zappa
>
>   Amougies (Belgium), Actuel Festival
>
>   24 to 27 October 1969
>

>   source: audience recording
>

>   This is an amazing find that I'm sure will delight fans of Frank
Zappa and the bands concerned alike. A little background : the
Actuel festival was organized by the publication of the same name
(who, under different editorship, went on to become a prime mover of
the French counterculture in the early to mid-70s) in collaboration
with the fledgling BYG label. It was originally going to take place
in or near Paris, but French authorities forbid it and the marquee
was eventually set up a few miles outside the French border, on
Belgian soil. It took place over 5 nights, entertaining an audience
of 15-20,000 to a unique mixture of progressive pop, free jazz and
contemporary music.

>   Frank Zappa was present at the festival (well, the first four
days, it seems) in a twofold capacity. First, as Captain Beefheart's
road manager; secondly, as M.C., assisting Pierre Lattes, a famous
radio/TV presenter at the time (and the pop music editor for Actuel
magazine). The latter task proved problematic given FZ's very
limited mastery of French, the prevailing language among the
audience, who themselves didn't seem to understand much English.
Instead, FZ relinquished his M.C. job for one of occasional guest
guitarist.

>   As far as I know, with the exception of FZ's performance with
Captain Beefheart, this collects all of his jams with participating
bands. A couple of films, directed by Jerome Laperrousaz and Jean-
Noel Roy, came out in 1970 but were instantly banned because of
objections from various bands (most notably Pink Floyd) whose
permission hadn't been properly secured. Zappa's performance with
Beefheart is included in one of them, and since the audio of the
film (unlike the film itself) is in circulation, possibly in better
sound than I could provide, I decided not to include it.

>   The whereabouts of the master tapes for the festival, if any
exist, are unknown. What recordings are circulating are either the
soundtrack of the film, or taken from radio broadcasts (on
Luxemburg's RTL and Belgium's RTBF). The source used here is an
audience recording made by a young French member of the audience
using a now antiquated amateur tape recorder. The original tapes
have been newly transferred, but even so, the sound quality is
rather poor. Still, it seems to be the only source available at this
time, so that will have to do for now.

>   Most legendary, of course, is Frank Zappa's jam with Pink Floyd
on a very extended "Interstellar Overdrive". Apparently, despite the
wealth of Pink Floyd bootlegs in circulation, no one seems to have
their Amougies set, so this will probably delight a lot of people.
Browing various PF-related websites, there even seems to be a debate
on whether the jam ever took place. Well, here is the final proof
that it did.

>   Now, the tracklist:
>

>   1. Aynsley Dunbar's Retaliation: unknown title (7:08)
>
>   [October 24]
>
>   Victor Brox (vocals, harmonica); John Moorshead (guitar); Alex
(Erroneous) Dmochowski (bass); Aynsley Dunbar (drums)

>   2. Pink Floyd: Interstellar Overdrive (20:25)
>
>   [October 25]
>
>   David Gilmour (guitar); Richard Wright (organ); Roger Waters
(bass); Nick Mason (drums)

>   3. Caravan: If I Could Do It All Over Again, I'd Do It All Over
You (7:55)

>   [October 26]
>
>   Pye Hastings (guitar & vocals); David Sinclair (keyboards);
Richard Sinclair (bass & vocals); Richard Coughlan (drums)

>   4. Blossom Toes: unknown title (26:10)
>
>   [October 26]
>
>   Brian Godding (guitar, vocals & keyboards); Jim Cregan (guitar &
vocals); Brian Belshaw (bass & vocals); Kevin Westlake (drums)

>   5. Sam Apple Pie: unknown title (6:04)
>
>   [October 27]
>
>   Sam Sampson (vocals & harmonica); Danny Barnes (lead guitar);
Andy Johnson (slide guitar); Bob Renny (bass & vocals); Lee Baxter
Hayes Jr (drums)

>   (Note: I understand FZ jammed with some of the free jazz
players. Sadly the taper was into rock, not jazz, and didn't bother
recording any of the jazz acts.)

>   I intend to seed some of the individual performances in the near
future, so watch out. I must thank the taper, JJB, for his
permission to seed these rare treasures, making them available
freely to all via DaD in affinity with its non-profit philosophy.

>   For further Z-related fun, please visit
http://www.thebignote.com or http://www.killuglyradio.com , thank
you.