Harald Dunkel wrote:
> Actually I don't see why the network interface should be
> brought up before it is configured. For the "old" zd1211-83
> this wasn't necessary. But I tried this, too:

I haven't really used the vendor driver so I can't comment there. But
the standard for network drivers is to not really enable the radio/link
power or whatever until the interface is brought up. This is a lifesaver
for laptop users, otherwise the battery drains really quickly even when
no network access is available.