On Mon, 9 Oct 2006, Daniel Drake wrote:

> I don't know about older kernels, but 2.6 for as long as I can remember boots
> with interfaces down by default.

Sorry, sure, that's not what I meant.

I meant, I don't think "ifconfig ... down" state should power down the
device. AFAIK, you boot with a ethX unconfigured, then you start a dhcp
client WITHOUT bringing the interface up, and it communicates over the
interface to auto-configure it and thereby bring it up. With the current
zd1211rw you cannot start dhcp without first bringint it up, which is a
bit weird. Not a big problem, AFAICS, but unusual.

Thanks
Guennadi
---
Guennadi Liakhovetski