Johannes Berg wrote:
>> I'm not so sure about this. This patching might be US-specific and we
>> cannot simply apply the setting for top channel of another domain
>> instead of channel 11. One option would be to set the value only under
>> the US regulatory domain.
>
> ??
> What the patch does is replace the top channel which is hardcoded to 11
> by the top channel given by the current regulatory domain. How can that
> be wrong? Except that you may want to init the regulatory domain from
> the EEPROM but I'm not sure how the ieee80211 code works wrt. that.
>
> johannes

The problem is not so much that I don't trust the geo code, but whether
setting the register to that band-edge value for a higher channel is
the right thing to do. It looks like that this is a hack for FFC
compliance. Therefore I suggest to patch CR128 only
for the US regulatory domain.

Here is the code from the GPL vendor driver (zdhw.c):

    if (pObj->HWFeature & BIT_21)  //6321 for FCC regulation, enabled HWFeature
6M band edge bit (for AL2230, AL2230S)
     {
         if (ChannelNo == 1 || ChannelNo == 11)  //MARK_003, band edge, these
may depend on PCB layout
         {
             pObj->SetReg(reg, ZD_CR128, 0x12);
             pObj->SetReg(reg, ZD_CR129, 0x12);
             pObj->SetReg(reg, ZD_CR130, 0x10);
             pObj->SetReg(reg, ZD_CR47, 0x1E);
         }
         else //(ChannelNo 2 ~ 10, 12 ~ 14)
         {
             pObj->SetReg(reg, ZD_CR128, 0x14);
             pObj->SetReg(reg, ZD_CR129, 0x12);
             pObj->SetReg(reg, ZD_CR130, 0x10);
             pObj->SetReg(reg, ZD_CR47, 0x1E);
         }
     }

The patch from Holden would set ZD_CR128 to 0x12 for the highest channel,
which would not reflect the logic of the vendor driver.

Kind regards,

Uli

--
Uli Kunitz ([EMAIL PROTECTED])