Am 02.11.2006 um 22:55 schrieb Daniel Drake:

> Guennadi Liakhovetski wrote:
>> Yes, reverting that commit fixes the problem. I don't understand the
>> comment there saying that those packed attributes were unneeded...
>> From a
>> quick view they DO seem to be needed - those are indeed structs
>> mapped on
>> data blocks received from hardware. The comment also refers to an
>> email
>> from Stephen Hemminger, which I didn't find in ML archives. I
>> think, it
>> should be reverted.
>
> The packed attribute is not needed because the member alignment
> doesn't
> result in any gaps in the produced structures. Supposedly.
>
> Please compile and run this program, firstly as-is, secondly with
> PACKED
> defined (see lines 6 and 7)

Guennadi, you are probably right. The reason is that the gcc is
aligning embedded structures always to a word boundary on ARM. I
didn't know about that and didn't care for while removing the packed
attributes.

Here is a webpage with some explanation about it:

http://netwinder.osuosl.org/users/b/brianbr/public_html/alignment.html

I will write a patch over the weekend, which should solve the issue.

Kind regards,

Ulrich