Hmm, there are anecdotal evidence that pid works better than minstrel for
mac80211-based drivers when the AP is a bit weak. Minstrel is the default from
2.6.30(31?) onwards, but you can choose pid with a module parameter in
modprobe.conf - see if that helps. The details are in two bug reports on
bugzilla.kernel.org filed against the rtl8187 driver.