> Of the eastern ocean.
> The road there
> Was long and winding,
> And stormy waves
> Barred my path.
> What made me
> Go this way?
>
>   - T'ao Chi'ien (372-427 AD)

Thanks so  much for that amazing poem by T'ao Chien, Kahty. Wow ... what
profund
metaphors. It's one of my new favorites as well :-)

On the Abhidharmakosa, you might want to head over to a college/university
library near
you and see what is in the stacks. Most college libraries have inter-library
loans that let's
you check books out from major university libraries. I'm not sure if you'll
find anything
complete (and "credible") on the web right now on the Abhidharmakosa.

Thanks for sharing aspects of your journey :-). You have had a long and winding
road :-) -
Can you hear the roar of the Eastern Ocean?

"What the Buddha Taught" by Walpola Rahula is one of my personal favorites. I
was born
and raised Buddhist but didn't make a serious inquire until the 70's. "What the
Buddha
Taught" was a seminal book for me back in the day. I still have my original
copy. (The price
on my copy says $2.95) :-)

Ok, here's a paste from your previous post asking about dharma lists. I'll give
it a crack:

The Two Vehicles?
The Three Realms and their Nine Grounds?
The Three or more Domains?
The Three Natures, Modes of Knowledge, and States?
The Five (or 51?) Universally Interactive Dharmas?
The Five, Eight and/or Ten Precepts?
The Eight Consciousnesses?

The Two Vehicles: Could this be the two vehicles of Hinayana and Mahayana
(known in
Sanskrit as the dviyana or the "Two vehicles")

The Three Realms and their Nine Grounds: The names of the Three Realms
(Trailokya or
Triloka) vary. The most common list is as follows 1) Kamadhatu (the realm of
sensuous
desire; 2) Rupadhatu (the realm of form); 3) Arupadhatu (the formless realm.
These Three
Realms are then "redivided" into 9 "grounds"/"realms"/"states or stages of
meditation". In
this redivision, the Kamadhatu is the first "ground"; the "Rupadhatu" is the
next four
grounds; Arupadhatu is the final four grounds. Anyway, the Nine grounds are 1)
The
desire realm with the 5 gatis --> hells, hungry ghosts, animals, men and devas
(This is
our realm); 2) The realm of the first Buddhist dhyana; 3) The realm of the
second dhyana;
4) The realm of the third dhyana' 5) The realm of the fourth dhyana; 5)The Pure
Land of
abandonment of thought; 6) The ground of Infinite Space (The realm of th first
Buddhist
samadhi); 7) The ground of Omniscience; 8) The ground of "nothingness"; 9) The
ground
of neither consciousnes nor non-consciousness

The Three or more Domains - ? Need more to go on

The Three Natures, Modes of Knowledge, and States: ? Several lists - Need more
to go on
if these are grouped together

The Five (or 51?) Universally Interactive Dharmas - ?

The Five, Eight and/or Ten Precepts:

The 5 = "panca veramani" --> precepts against 1)killing, 2)stealing, 3)adultry,
4)lying and
5)intoxicating drinks). These 5 precepts are binding for lay Buddhists (male
and female) as
well as monks and nums. It is said in the Vinaya that the observance of these
five ensures
rebirth in the human realm.

The Eight is the above 5 plus the precept 6) against cosmetics (some lists
specify just
perfumes), personal adornments;7) against sleeping on fine beds or broad mats;
8)against
eating after regulation hours (i.e., after noon). These are binding for novice
monks and
nuns

The Ten is the above plus the precept 9)against
watching/listening/participating in
singing, dancing, musical or theatrical performances; 10)against aquiring money
or jewels.

In the Mahayana vinaya, sometimes the 10 is given as follows: 1) not to kill;
2) not to steal;
3) not to commit adultry; 4) not to lie; 5) not to slander; 6) not to insult;
7) not to chatter;
8) not to covet; 9) not to give way to anger; 10) not to harbour any
scepticism. These 10
are binding for everyone

The Eight Consciousnesses (asta vijnanai): This a list that belongs exclusively
to the
Yogacara or Vijnanavada school:

1. The consciousness of seeing (caksur-vijnana)
2.  The consciousness of hearing (srota-vijnana)
3)  The consciousness of smelling (ghrana-vijnana)
4) The consciousness of tasting (jihva-vijnana)
5)  The consciousness of touch (kaya-vijnana)
6)  The consciousness of "mind" or "thought" (mano-vijnana)
7)   The consciousness that is the root of all illusion  --> the construction
of Self or atman
takes places here (klista-mano-vijnana)
8)  The "store-house" consciousness -->the source of the preceeding 7 (alaya
vijnana)

http://us.click.yahoo.com/6pRQfA/fOaOAA/yQLSAA/S27xlB/TM