--- In Zen_Forum@yahoogroups.com, "dkotschessa" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> --- In Zen_Forum@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Smart" <BillSmart@> wrote:
> >
> > On  Tuesday, August 15, 2006 DaveK, in response to Ian, wrote:
> >
> > Ian..
> > >that
> watered

> > DaveK
> > >I think your viewpoint is unfortunate.
> >
> > For a change, I agree with both of you.
>
> Apologies for being presumptuous, but it appears you are saying
this
> to appear diplomatic.  Do you think I am corrupting Buddhism and
> Christianity out of some need to be politically correct?  I can not
> see how you could hold this opinion at the same time as the one
> you've expressed below.
>
> > I think by earnestly following the teachings of both Christianity
> and
> > Buddhism (and perhaps in fact most religions) you will eventually
> arrive at
> > the same place.
> >
> > Their teaching concepts and methods are different, sometimes even
> > contradictory; but I cannot help but think the fundamental
> realization of
> > their founders (in this case Jesus and Buddha) were the same.
This
> is
> > because that fundamental realization is a universal human
(sentient
> being?)
> > attribute and available to all.
> >
> > This is what I want to believe anyway.
> >
> > ..Bill!
>
> "The truth is one, the sages call it by many names." Say the Hindu
> something or other's.
>
> It's just different language to say the same thing.  I happen to
> believe the language of Christianity is less direct, and leads a
lot
> of people astray, following abstractions rather than following
> skillful actions.  But by looking at all the traditions that are
out
> there, the common thread emerges, and you can see what was intended.
>
> Their realization was the same,

Okay - how have you come to know this directly for yourself - that
what you are calling "their realization" was the same?

I'd ask Bill the same question, except he qualifies it with "I can't
help but think" which makes it more plain that it is merely opinion
making on his part.  And he explicity ends with "that is what I'd
like to believe."

But you say it like you know, so - how have you come to know this?

Ian

 but Jesus had to express his
> realization in the theology he had available to him at the time,
> which was the Old Testament.
>
> Remember the phrase "all sentient beings" and consider carefully
what
> that means.  That means everybody.  Everybody is everybody.  Lots
of
> people, isn't it?  They're not all going to convert to Buddhism.
So
> what's a Bodhisattva to do?  We could start a Dharma-Jihad and try
> convert everybody to Buddhism.  Wanna start a new organization of
> Buddhist fundamentalists and start blowing stuff up?
>
> I prefer to find the common ground and break down the barriers of
> communication, get over all the pointless bitterness and
> divisiveness, and get over ourselves.  It's much slower than a
Jihad