Consider the case of Daitsu Chisho Buddha. He sat in meditation for 10
kalpas without attaining complete liberation. You might want to read up
on his "case" - which is number 8 in the Mumonkan. His life is also
discussed in chapter 7 of the Lotus Sutra.
- Curt
P.S. For the mumonkan see:
http://www.csudh.edu/phenom_studies/mumonkan/mumonkan.htm
http://zenru.org/mumonkan.htm
But I would personally also strongly recommend checking out the
commentaries by either Yamada Roshi or Eido Roshi - or, better yet, both.