Thanks for the advice. I'm trying to practice Zen myself.

----- Original Message ----
From: Bill Smart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: Zen_Forum@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Monday, November 12, 2007 5:06:17 AM
Subject: [Zen] Re: beginning again

--- In [EMAIL PROTECTED] ps.com, "cid830" <summitjags@ ...> wrote:

> what are the precepts?

cid830,

Knowledge of Buddhist Precepts, Refuges, etc..., are not a pre-requiste
for practicing zen. In fact in most cases they are, as is all
knowledge, a hindrance.

The only thing necessary to practice zen, if that is your interest, is
to sit - meaning do zazen. Pacticing zazen clears your mind of all
intellectual and emotional clutter, including concepts such as
precepts, refuges, right:wrong, I:you, beginner:sensei, etc...

Forget about all the other things you have read or been taught. Just
sit. That's enough. Anything else is too much...Bill!