Wow, tough question, yet an excellent one.  I need to find that book, and
get you the details. I recall that he said that "this Dalai Lama IVX could
be the last one".  It is better that I revisit the details instead of
relying on my soso memory.

In our school however, an enlightened being could choose to be reincarnated
or not.  Many masters are actual returned enlightened beings to continue his
mission.  My Teacher vowed to return until the year 2300.  :-)

If Dalai Lama attained Avalokiteśvara, which very likely he may have.  He
does have a choice.  Or he may return as someone other than DL.

The fact that Barbara Walters mentioned toward the end of her special
interviewing many religious leaders, "I find myself most joyful when I am
with Dalai Lama and I don't know why." is perhaps what we all need to
deliver.

JM