Bill,
Regarding enlightenment and karma, I suspect that it is not so much that an enlightened being is exempt from karma, but rather that they act so skillfully that their behavior does not create it. I do not pretend to understand how it is possible for the consequences of one's actions to have only neutral consequences. Perhaps it depends on one's intentions. I also suspect that karmic consequences can only be viewed as anomalous (Would "unjust" be a better word?) when limited to a certain temporal frame of reference. Buddhists claim that consequences of actions taken in other lives may manifest in this life, hence good things can happen to (seemingly) bad people and visa versa. I guess this means that we will never have enough information to label anything that befalls anyone as just or unjust . . . it just is. Chuck From: [email protected] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of [EMAIL PROTECTED] Sent: Wednesday, July 02, 2008 9:56 PM To: [email protected] Subject: RE: [Zen] Dear Bill Chuck, Thanks for your post. I have read extensively on the Buddhist doctrine of Dependant Origination. On the surface it seems to contradict what I believe, but on deeper level it may be a way to ameliorate or explain away karmic anomalies. My interest on this topic is twofold, one zen/Buddhist-related and one not: . The zen/Buddhist-related slant focuses on karma, and my interpretations of teachings that a fully-enlightened being is not subject to karma. . The other slant focuses on what I believe are anomalies in predictability and probability theory which have I have observed in my professional life in which I do descriptive and predictive data analysis. Thanks again for your suggestion. .Bill! From: [email protected] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Chuck Gierhart Sent: Wednesday, July 02, 2008 6:34 PM To: [email protected] Subject: RE: [Zen] Dear Bill I cannot help with time, but you may want to look at "the doctrine of dependant origination" on the subject of cause and effect. From: [email protected] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of [EMAIL PROTECTED] Sent: Wednesday, July 02, 2008 5:36 AM To: [email protected] Subject: RE: [Zen] Dear Bill Panda, Send an email to me at [EMAIL PROTECTED] so I can get your email address, and I'll send you something on this.Bill! From: [email protected] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of pandabananasock Sent: Sunday, June 29, 2008 4:31 AM To: [email protected] Subject: [Zen] Dear Bill I hope you have not forgotten to dig up that material you have been working on regarding time/cause&effect. What it something I said?? Really though, if you are still willing to share, I'd still love to take a look! P-P-P-Panda __________ NOD32 3224 (20080627) Information __________ This message was checked by NOD32 antivirus system. http://www.eset.com __________ NOD32 3233 (20080701) Information __________ This message was checked by NOD32 antivirus system. http://www.eset.com
