Agreed, compassion for all creatures is one of the tenets of Buddhism
and a central practice on the path to enlightenment.
Edgar
On Aug 31, 2008, at 4:15 PM, Fitness63 wrote:
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] > I'm not trying to mix the two. The
intent of
my post is to show some of the similarities between the two,
especially
those that I believe relate to zen, which as you also know I don't
consider
to be a exclusive to Buddhism or a sub-set of Buddhism. >
I was on another Buddhist group which is very victimization
oriented and
which only wants people of a certain ethnic group to participate.
There were
several members claiming that Voodoo, Shango, Santeria, etc. were a
great
way to practice Buddhism.
I was apoplectic and posted my objection. Voodoo, Shango, Santeria
rely very
heavily on animal sacrifices, drinking of blood, eating the meat of
the
sacrificed animals, etc.,
I cannot imagine anything further away from Buddhism than Voodoo,
especially
since it also makes the priest an intemediary for any contact to a
higher
power and for self-knowledge. In Voodoo/Shango, etc., it all flows
from the
priest/priestess. These are very shady religions at best.