From: mike brown <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [Zen] thoughtful story
To: Zen_Forum@yahoogroups.com
Date: Tuesday, 28 October, 2008, 8:37 PM

Hi Jody,

A nice story, but I'm afraid it's not quite zen. The taxi-driver is being
dangerously sentimental in his reaction to the old woman. He's obviously a nice
guy but he almost sounds like he's patting himself on the back for what he did
and how he treated the old lady. It reminds me of the story of the monk who
carried a young female across a river and his younger protege kept haranguing
him for hours because he broke the vow not to touch members of the opposite
sex. After a while the older monk said, "I put her down on the other side of
the river - when are you going to put her down?". We can't keep reviewing every
action we take. There's a flip side to your story too. If the old lady had
acted ungratefully, I can imagine the taxi-driver lamenting about the rude,
selfish nature of people etc. If we're acting mindfully we just do what we have
to. If the person is grateful - ok. If the person doesn't acknowledge what
we've done - ok. Otherwise we become like
 a paper bag blowing in the wind with our desires and emotions dictating how we
act.

Mike.