Mike;

It was nice that the taxi-driver was according to you "dangerously
sentimental" because due to that he helped the lady.

If you hold too much in what is zen or not zen you miss out what is
real zen.  Your view of seeing this story it seems to be the view of
a converted Christian to Zen and not the view of a practicioner who
is free from views. Saying this of course does not mean that I'm free
from bagage views.

If you had the feeling of the Taxi-driver almost laping at his back
was because you saw your own reflection on him.

To me the moral of Jody's story was in the las three paragrapshs.
All the rest is just an illustration to make stronger the last three
paragraphs.

Mayka

--- In Zen_Forum@yahoogroups.com, mike brown <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hi Jody,
>
> A nice story, but I'm afraid it's not quite zen. The taxi-driver is
being dangerously sentimental in his reaction to the old woman. He's
obviously a nice guy but he almost sounds like he's patting himself
on the back for what he did and how he treated the old lady. It
reminds me of the story of the monk who carried a young female across
a river and his younger protege kept haranguing him for hours because
he broke the vow not to touch members of the opposite sex. After a
while the older monk said, "I put her down on the other side of the
river - when are you going to put her down?". We can't keep reviewing
every action we take. There's a flip side to your story too. If the
old lady had acted ungratefully, I can imagine the taxi-driver
lamenting about the rude, selfish nature of people etc. If we're
acting mindfully we just do what we have to. If the person is
grateful - ok. If the person doesn't acknowledge what we've done -
ok. Otherwise we become like
>  a paper bag blowing in the wind with our desires and emotions
dictating how we act.

> Mike.
>

> ________________________________

Behind me,
> a door shut. It was the sound of the closing of a life.
>
> I didn't pick up any more passengers that shift. I drove aimlessly
lost in
> thought. For the rest of that day, I could hardly talk. What if
that woman
> had gotten an angry driver, or one who was impatient to end his
shift?

> What if I had refused to take the run, or had honked once, then
driven away?

> On a quick review, I don't think that I have done anything more
important in
> my life.
>
> We're conditioned to think that our lives revolve around great
moments.

> But great moments often catch us unaware-beautifully wrapped in
what others
> may consider a small one.
>
> PEOPLE MAY NOT REMEMBER EXACTLY WHAT YOU DID, OR WHAT YOU SAID, BUT
THEY