From: billsm...@hhs1963.org <billsm...@hhs1963.org>
Subject: RE: [Zen] Where is Chinese Chan Master?
To: Zen_Forum@yahoogroups.com
Date: Thursday, 25 December, 2008, 7:15 AM

JMJM,

Thanks for the wish about the unrest, but I think this will continue for a
long, long time. It's basically a class power struggle between one group made
up of Bangkok elites, the military and monarchists versus the uneducated rural
population, especially in the north. The former group has the power of the
military but the latter group has the voting majority. Thailand is also rife
with corruption on all sides. The only thing holding the country together at
all right now is the king.

I think all this will continue to swirl around until the current king dies
(he's 80 years old and in poor health, and has an unpopular son), and then
Thailand might explode into a full scale civil war.

My home is far enough away from Bangkok (5 hour drive) and in a rural area and
up in the mountains. I don't think they'll be much real trouble here. Everyone
here is too busy working and trying to feed their families to worry too much
about who is prime minister.

....Bill!