Anthony:

You say talking about emotions::
"I am not saying zen discourages emotions, it treats them like a bystander
viewing a movie". This is also what I used to think myself but during that long
retreat guided by TNH in the Monastery of PV, he made clear that at the moment
an emotion arise in us, we are that emotion.  We don't see that emotion
separated from us as we are not separated from the emotion.

My personal Experience in the practice here:

When I'm into the practice the way an emotion is treated is very different than
when I go swept away by the samsara or forgetfullness.  I call forgetfullness
to everything that means not to be aware of.  The difference between a zen
practicioner and not a zen practicioner according only to my personal
experience which not necesarily may agree with otherr practicioners experience
is that I don't repress an emotion in any way.  I let it be. I acknoledge its
existance. I'm  aware of its existence. I accept that emotion to be there.  I
don't view it as it was a nasty allien that I have to view as in a movie
because I'm afraid of facing what is in me.  I don't do that with any emotion
the same if the emotion is pleasant or unpleasant.  I just hold there in the
awareness of the in and out breathing....This all of course when I'm diligent
in the practice (which is not very often)

Hope this helps over this discussion.  You are not the only one who mistake the
way of emotions are handled in zen.
Mayka