Well, my understanding and experience is that one of the ways difficulties with
emotions come is when one tries to artificially hold them in or control them.
That is, emotions are natural responses, part of being human. Also that
difficulties with emotions may come when one expresses them in the world
without regard for consequences or the effect on others. In other words,
emotions are not "bad" in themselves, it's how and when we express them that
can cause difficulties.

So, when I'm angry, I let myself be angry - but I really don't want to be
violent or hurt anyone. So I will go off by myself and holler, and 'tell off'
the person who has made me angry. If I am REALLY angry I may hit a stone with a
stick, or punch a pillow, or something like that. I find the hollering, or
hitting the stone, or punching the pillow dissipates the anger rather quickly
for me and I return to a calmer state much more quickly.

I agree with Bill! - emotions are physical responses. Also from the physical
perspective, your body does not know the difference, whether you holler at the
person you are mad at, or go off by yourself and holler. It's the hollering
that is the point as far as your body is concerned.

And, please understand, these are just my experiences, everyone has to find
their own way :-)

--- In, Maria Lopez <flordel...@...> wrote:
> Correction (I didn't read correctly your last paragraph posting):
> You said: "What I DON'T always do is act in the world on my emotions. If I
> get angry I don't throw things or hit people. But I may go off by myself
> somewhere and cuss and holler or whack a stone with a stick".
> My impression is that that it may increase the aggresion in one rather than
>handling it. But I don't know.  May I ask you to give more details and explain
>what do you experience when you do in that way?
> I don't go by myself somewhere and cuss and holler or whack a stone with a
> stick.  If the emotion is very powerful and my practice is weak or absent
> then I usually have an stormy tantrum temper which tends to be rather
> destructive.  But if I'm strong enough to hold there, then is when I deal
> with the emotion through all mentioned in previous post to Anthony and Bill.
> Thanks
> Mayka

FROM: Over the hills and far away. . .
The way to do is be. Lao Tzu