Dave,

I don't know if the feeling of boredom will pass for you.  It did for all
people I know of that sit.  Of course maybe it didn't for those that tried
sitting but quit.

How are you sitting?  I suggest you find a competent teacher to instruct
you.  Second best is find an instructional book or website.  There's are
many good sites on the web, or check out JMJM's site.  He's a frequent
poster on the Zen Forum and will probably respond to this.

If all else fails, follow these instructions:

1.        Sit in a comfortable position.  It should be a position in which
the back is upright but not supported, and that opens up your hips so that
you can breathe well.  Full-lotus is preferable.  Half-lotus or cross-legged
is okay.  Kneeling is okay.  Sitting upright on the front of a
straight-backed chair is okay too.

2.       When you first get into the position close your eyes and sway from
your hips like an inverted pendulum, first back and forth and then side to
side.  Slowly decrease the angle of your swaying until you are upright.
This will help you find an upright position that puts the least amount of
strain on your back and legs.

3.       Fold your hands one inside the other and rest them on your legs.

4.       Open your eyes, lower your gaze to a point about 3 or 4 ft in front
of you.  If you're facing a wall pick a point low on the wall as if you were
gazing about 3 or 4 ft in front of you.  A solid-colored wall is best.
White or cream-colored is best.  De-focus your eyes.

5.       Take a deep inhale and exhale slowly.  Do this 3 times.  Your
breathing should be 'belly breathing' - your belly should be going out and
in with the breathes.  It should NOT be 'chest breathing' - where your
shoulders go up and down with the breathes.  These should not be so deep as
to strain you, but as deep as is comfortable.

6.       Take a deep inhale and then count '1' (in your mind) while exhaling
slowly.

7.       Count '2' while inhaling slowly.

8.       Repeat until you've reached '10', and then start over.

9.       If you lose count, or find your mind wandering, or find you're on a
number greater than 10, start over.

10.   Count your exhales and inhales like this until you can do it
consistently without losing count.

11.   Then change and count '1' on your exhale/inhale cycle, '2' on your
next exhale/inhale cycle.  Do this until you can do it well.

12.   Then change and drop the counting, and only 'follow the breathes',
just direct your attention to following the breath as you exhale and inhale.
Do this until you can do it well.

13.   Then drop the 'following' the breathe and 'just sit'.  This is shikan
taza (clear mind).  This is zazen.

I'd suggest you only sit as long as you feel comfortable.  If that's 10
minutes, then that's okay.  Just sit 10 minutes at a time.  Sit this way for
a couple days or a week and then jump it up to 15 minutes, then 20.  I don't
think you ever need to go more than 20 minutes at home, but most zen centers
sit at least 30 minute or even 40 minute periods.

Hope this helps.Bill!