DP,

I've been doing zazen for over 40 years and I ALWAYS start just as I
described below, including first counting the exhales and inhales, then
counting the exhale/inhale cycle, then following the breathes and finally
settling into shikan taka.

If I have trouble focusing on any part of counting or following the
breathes, I just stay in that technique, or even go back to the previous
technique, until I can focus well before moving forward.  Some sitting
periods I never get to shikan taza in the 20 or 30 minutes I sit, but that
doesn't happen too often now - but does happen occasionally.  I don't
consider this a big deal.  It's 'all good'.

Two more tips:

-          - Breathing is VERY IMPORTANT to zazen.  Please be sure you're
belling-breathing correctly, and that includes sitting in a posture that
contributes to that - a posture that 'opens up' your hips so you are
cramping your belly area.  Again, full-lotus is best for this but not
absolutely necessary.  It helps move your hips open up and straightens out
your back.  I can't sit full-lotus.  I can sit in half-lotus, but often just
sit cross-legged.  Be sure your back is straight.  Many teachers say you
should feel like you're 'lifting the sky' with your head.

-          - When you get to the point of dropping the
following-the-breaths, it's very much like defocusing your gaze.  When
gazing you first focus on a point on the floor or wall, and then relax and
defocus your eyes.  In this way you can still see, you are visually aware of
what's in front of you, but you are not focusing on it.  This the same think
you do with your awareness.  At first you focus your awareness on 1 through
10, then just in-out, and finally defocus entirely.  I think of it like
focusing sunlight through a magnifying glass and moving the focus closer and
closer to the floor or some other object.  When you start the sunlight is a
large circle.  The more your focus the smaller and smaller the circle
becomes, and the more intense it is.  BUT, when you are focusing it as small
as you can get it, and then move just one step farther, the circle
disappears altogether.  That's what shikan taza is like.

.Bill!