Amen.

Thanks for sharing this!  k

--- On Thu, 1/13/11, Edgar Owen <edgaro...@att.net> wrote:

From: Edgar Owen <edgaro...@att.net>
Subject: [Zen] News: Can sitting too much kill you?
To: Zen_Forum@yahoogroups.com
Date: Thursday, January 13, 2011, 5:22 AM

For all you deluded ones who believe that sitting instead of daily life is Zen.
:-)

Edgar

Can sitting too much kill you?
By Travis Saunders | Jan 6, 2011 10:39 AM
We all know that physical activity is important for good health—regardless of
your age, gender or body weight, living an active lifestyle can improve your
quality of life and dramatically reduce your risk of death and disease. But
even if you are meeting current physical activity guidelines by exercising for
one hour per day (something few Americans manage on a consistent basis), that
leaves 15 to 16 hours per day when you are not being active. Does it matter how
you spend those hours, which account for more than 90% of your day? For
example, does it matter whether you spend those 16 hours sitting on your butt,
versus standing or walking at a leisurely pace? Fortunately or unfortunately,
new evidence suggests that it does matter, and in a big way.
What is sedentary behavior?
Before we go any further, it’s important that we define the term "sedentary
behavior". Sedentary behavior is typically defined as any behavior with an
exceedingly low energy expenditure (defined as <1.5 metabolic equivalents). In
general, this means that almost any time you are sitting (e.g. working on a
computer, watching TV, driving) or lying down, you are engaging in sedentary
behavior. There are a few notable exceptions when you can be sitting or lying
down but still expend high energy expenditure (e.g. riding a stationary bike),
but in general if you are sitting down, you are being sedentary.
The above definition may seem rather intuitive, but this is not the way that
the term sedentary has been used by exercise science researchers for the past
50 years. Up until very recently, referring to someone as sedentary meant
simply that they were not meeting current guidelines for physical activity. In
simple terms, if you were exercising for 60+ minutes/day, you were considered
physically active. If you were exercising 10 minutes/day, you were sedentary.
Case closed. But as we will discuss below, sedentary time is closely associated
with health risk regardless of how much physical activity you perform on a
daily basis. Further, it is entirely possible to meet current physical activity
guidelines while still being incredibly sedentary. Thus, to quote researcher
Marc Hamilton, sitting too much is not the same as exercising too little. (if
you take only one thing from this post, let it be that quote from Dr Hamilton).
Which is why it is so important
 that when we use the term "sedentary", we are all on the same page about what
that means.
Now that we know what sedentary behavior is, let’s look at its relationship
with health risk.
Epidemiological Evidence
In 2009 Dr Peter Katzmarzyk and colleagues at the Pennington Biomedical
Research Center published an influential longitudinal paper examining the links
between time spent sitting and mortality in a sample of more than 17,000
Canadians (available here). Not surprisingly, they report that time spent
sitting was associated with increased risk of all-cause and cardiovascular
disease mortality (there was no association between sitting and deaths due to
cancer). But what is fascinating is that the relationship between sitting time
and mortality was independent of physical activity levels. In fact, individuals
who sat the most were roughly 50% more likely to die during the follow-up
period than individuals who sat the least, even after controlling for age,
smoking, and physical activity levels. Further analyses suggested that the
relationship between sitting time and mortality was also independent of body
weight. This suggests that all things being equal (body
 weight, physical activity levels, smoking, alcohol intake, age, and sex) the
person who sits more is at a higher risk of death than the person who sits less.
The above findings linking excessive sitting with poor health are far from
isolated. For example, a similar longitudinal study from Australia reports that
each hour of daily television viewing (a proxy of sedentary time) is associated
with an 11% increase in the risk of all-cause mortality regardless of age, sex,
waist circumference, and physical activity level. And as my colleagues and I
summarize in a recent review paper (PDF), numerous epidemiological studies have
linked sedentary behavior with obesity, cardiometabolic risk, and even some
cancers.
New evidence also suggests that in addition to the quantity of sedentary time,
the quality of sedentary time may also have an important health impact. For
example, Genevieve Healy and colleagues examined this issue in participants of
the Australian Diabetes, Obesity and Lifestyle (AusDiab) Study. A total of 168
men and women aged 30-87 years wore an accelerometer (an objective measure of
bodily movement) during all waking hours for 7 consecutive days, which allowed
the researchers to quantify the amount of time that participants spent being
sedentary, as well as how frequently they interrupted these sedentary
activities (e.g. standing, walking to the washroom, etc).
What did they find?
The greater the number of breaks taken from sedentary behavior, the lower the
waist circumference, body mass index, as well as blood lipids and glucose
tolerance. This was true even if the total amount of sedentary time and
physical activity time were equal between individuals—the one who took breaks
more frequently during their time at the office or while watching television
was less obese and had better metabolic health. Importantly, the breaks taken
by the individuals in this study were of a brief duration (<5 min) and a low
intensity (such as walking to the washroom, or simply standing).
Taken together, the epidemiological evidence strongly suggests that prolonged
sitting is an important health risk factor. But what explains these
relationships? Let’s now look at the multiple mechanisms linking sedentary time
with increased health risk.
Mechanisms
Reduced Energy Expenditure
Quite obviously (and by definition), when you are sedentary, you are not being
physically active. And so one common assumption is that people who sit more are
at increased health risk simply because they are getting less physical
activity. However, somewhat surprisingly, sitting time and physical activity do
not appear to be related for most people. For example a paper from the European
Youth Heart Study published in PLoS Medicine reports no association between
physical activity and TV watching in a sample of nearly 2000 children and
teenagers, and other reports suggest that there is little evidence that
sedentary behavior displaces moderate or vigorous physical activity. So while
it makes intuitive sense that being sedentary reduces energy expenditure, it is
likely through the reduction of very light intensity physical activity (e.g.
standing, walking at a slow pace), rather than by reducing the volume of what
we typically think of as exercise. This may
 also help explain why the relationship between sedentary behavior and health
risk are often independent of moderate or vigorous physical activity.
Increased Food Intake
In addition to reducing our energy expenditure, sedentary behaviors may also
promote excess food intake. For example, a recently published study in the
American Journal of Public Health suggests that the amount of commercial
television (e.g. television with advertisements) that children watch before the
age of 6 is associated with increased body weight 5 years down the road, even
after adjustment for other important variables including physical activity,
socio-economic status and mother’s BMI. In contrast, watching non-commercial
television (DVD’s or TV programs without commercials) showed no association
with body weight. Similarly, it has also been reported that each hour of daily
television watching in children is associated with an increased consumption of
167 calories per day (PDF), mainly through increased consumption of high
calorie, low nutrient foods (e.g. the foods most commonly advertised on
television). Much of this is likely just a
 learned behavior—watching TV exposes us to food ads promoting unhealthy fare,
which is likely to have a disproportionate influence on younger viewers. Just
as importantly, people may just really enjoy munching on food while relaxing on
the couch. Either way, excess sitting (and TV watching in particular) seems to
put us in situations where we choose to eat more than we would otherwise.
Physiological Adaptations
I don’t think the mechanisms described above—that sitting too much may lead to
reduced energy expenditure and increased food intake—will come as much of a
surprise. But what I find truly fascinating is that sedentary behavior also
results in rapid and dramatic changes in skeletal muscle. For example, in rat
models, it has been shown that just 1 day of complete rest results in dramatic
reductions in muscle triglyceride uptake, as well as reductions in HDL
cholesterol (the good cholesterol). And in healthy human subjects, just 5 days
of bed rest has been shown to result in increased plasma triglycerides and LDL
cholesterol, as well as increased insulin resistance—all very bad things. And
these weren’t small changes—triglyceride levels increased by 35%, and insulin
resistance by 50%!
These negative changes are likely related to reductions in the activity of
lipoprotein lipase, an enzyme which allows muscle to uptake fat, thereby
reducing the amount of fat circulating in the blood (it also strongly
influences cholesterol levels—the details can be found here). Animal research
has shown that lipoprotein lipase activity is reduced dramatically after just
six hours of sedentary behavior—not unlike a typical day at work or school for
many individuals. Sedentary behavior may also reduce glucose transporter
protein content in the muscle, making it more difficult for glucose to be taken
into the muscle and resulting in higher blood sugar levels. What is most
interesting to me personally is that these physiological changes in skeletal
muscle have little or nothing to do with the accumulation of body fat, and
occur under extremely rapid time-frames. This means that both lean and obese
individuals, and even those with otherwise active
 lifestyles, are at increased health risk when they spend excessive amounts of
time sitting down.
Should we be concerned about the health impact of sedentary behavior?
Yes.
Western society is built around sitting. We sit at work, we sit at school, we
sit at home, and we sit in our cars as we commute back and forth. In fact, a
recent survey reports that the average American accumulates more than 8 hours
of sedentary behavior every day—roughly half of their waking hours. The
situation in children is, unfortunately, no different. There is evidence that
children in both Canada and the USA (PDF) accumulate more than 6 hours of
screen-time (time spent in front of the TV, computer, or other screen-based
device) on a daily basis. Keep in mind that screen-time is almost exclusively
sedentary (active video games excluded), and that all these hours of sedentary
behavior are in addition to the hours and hours (and hours) that kids spend
sitting at school. In fact, a recent study reports that roughly 70% of class
time, including physical education class, is completely sedentary (while
slightly better than class time, children were
 also sedentary for the majority of lunch and recess).
In short, given the consistent links between sedentary behavior and both death
and disease, and the ubiquity of sedentary behavior in our society, we should
be very concerned about the health impact of sedentary behavior.
What is the take-home message?
There is a rapidly accumulating body of evidence which suggests that prolonged
sitting is very bad for our health, even for lean and otherwise physically
active individuals. The good news? Animal research suggests that simply walking
at a leisurely pace may be enough to rapidly undo the metabolic damage
associated with prolonged sitting, a finding which is supported by
epidemiological work in humans. So, while there are a lot of questions that
remain unanswered (e.g. Is there a “safe” amount of daily sedentary time?), the
evidence seems clear that we should strive to limit the amount of time we spend
sitting. And when we do have to sit for extended periods of time (which, let’s
face it, is pretty much every single day for many of us) we should take short
breaks whenever possible.
Finally, if you take only one thing from this post, let it be this—sitting too
much is not the same as exercising too little.