From: Bill! <billsm...@hhs1963.org>
Subject: Re: [Zen] News: Can sitting too much kill you?
To: Zen_Forum@yahoogroups.com
Date: Thursday, January 13, 2011, 5:49 PM

Kristy,
When I use the word sitting I refer to zazen.  I've said this many times.  And
for me zazen is shikantaza; and shikantaza is 'clear mind'.
So...any activity I do (like daily life) with a clear mind (Buddha Mind) is
shikantaza, is zazen.  Washing dishes with a clear mind is zazen.
I think at least you'll agree that washing dishes = daily life.
...Bill!

--- In Zen_Forum@yahoogroups.com, Kristy McClain <healthyplay1@...> wrote:

> The point being that > sitting = < daily life. k

 important
> [...]
> > glucose tolerance. This was true even if the total amount of sedentary time
> > and physical activity time were equal between individualsâ€"the one who
> > took breaks more frequently during their time at the office or while
> > watching television was less obese and had better metabolic health.
> > Importantly, the breaks taken by the individuals in this study were of a
> > brief duration (<5 min) and a low intensity (such as walking to the
> > washroom, or simply standing).
> > Taken together, the epidemiological evidence strongly suggests that
> > prolonged sitting is an important health risk factor. But what explains
> > these relationships? Let’s now look at the multiple mechanisms
> > linking sedentary time with increased health risk.
> > Mechanisms
> > Reduced Energy Expenditure
> > Quite obviously (and by definition), when you are sedentary, you are not
> > being physically active. And so one common assumption is that people who
> > sit more are at increased health risk simply because they are getting less
> > physical activity. However, somewhat surprisingly, sitting time and
> > physical activity do not appear to be related for most people. For example
> > a paper from the European Youth Heart Study published in PLoS Medicine
> > reports no association between physical activity and TV watching in a
> > sample of nearly 2000 children and teenagers, and other reports suggest
> > that there is little evidence that sedentary behavior displaces moderate or
> > vigorous physical activity. So while it makes intuitive sense that being
> > sedentary reduces energy expenditure, it is likely through the reduction of
> > very light intensity physical activity (e.g. standing, walking at a slow
> > pace), rather than by reducing the volume of what we typically think of as
> > exercise. This
> may
> > also help explain why the relationship between sedentary behavior and
> > health risk are often independent of moderate or vigorous physical activity.
> > Increased Food Intake
> > In addition to reducing our energy expenditure, sedentary behaviors may
> > also promote excess food intake. For example, a recently published study in
> > the American Journal of Public Health suggests that the amount of
> > commercial television (e.g. television with advertisements) that children
> > watch before the age of 6 is associated with increased body weight 5 years
> > down the road, even after adjustment for other important variables
> > including physical activity, socio-economic status and mother’s BMI.
> > In contrast, watching non-commercial television (DVD’s or TV
> > programs without commercials) showed no association with body weight.
> > Similarly, it has also been reported that each hour of daily television
> > watching in children is associated with an increased consumption of 167
> > calories per day (PDF), mainly through increased consumption of high
> > calorie, low nutrient foods (e.g. the foods most commonly advertised on
 Much of this is likely