Bill,

The flying carpet is only good for moving shikantaza. Don't use it for 
shikanwalk, or you will fall over the edge. No God's hand can help you.

Anthony

--- On Sat, 15/1/11, Bill! <billsm...@hhs1963.org> wrote:

From: Bill! <billsm...@hhs1963.org>
Subject: Re: [Zen] News: Can sitting too much kill you?
To: Zen_Forum@yahoogroups.com
Date: Saturday, 15 January, 2011, 8:13 AM







 



  


    
      
      
      Anthony,



How about shikanwalk?



--- In Zen_Forum@yahoogroups.com, Anthony Wu <wuasg@...> wrote:

>

> Bill,

> 

> You say, "any activity I do (like daily life) with a clear mind (Buddha Mind) 
> is shikantaza".

> 

> When I move from place to place with a clear mind is 'just sitting' 
> (=shikantaza). I can't think of a better way of doing that than ride a flying 
> carpet.

> 

> Anthony

> 

> --- On Fri, 14/1/11, Bill! <BillSmart@...> wrote:

> 

> From: Bill! <BillSmart@...>

> Subject: Re: [Zen] News: Can sitting too much kill you?

> To: Zen_Forum@yahoogroups.com

> Date: Friday, 14 January, 2011, 8:49 AM

> 

> 

> 

> 

> 

> 

> 

>  

> 

> 

> 

>   

> 

> 

>     

>       

>       

>       Kristy,

> When I use the word sitting I refer to zazen.  I've said this many 
> times.  And for me zazen is shikantaza; and shikantaza is 'clear mind'.

> So..., is zazen.  Washing dishes with a clear mind is zazen.

> I think at least you'll agree that washing dishes = daily life.

> ...Bill!

> 

> --- In Zen_Forum@yahoogroups.com, Kristy McClain <healthyplay1@> wrote:

> >

> > The point being that > sitting = < daily life. k

> > 

> > 

> > --- On Thu, 1/13/11, Bill! BillSmart@ wrote:

> > 

> > 

> > From: Bill! BillSmart@

> > Subject: Re: [Zen] News: Can sitting too much kill you?

> > To: Zen_Forum@yahoogroups.com

> > Date: Thursday, January 13, 2011, 5:12 PM

> > 

> > 

> >   

> > 

> > 

> > 

> > Sitting is daily life. Daily life is sitting. ...Bill!

> > 

> > --- In Zen_Forum@yahoogroups.com, Kristy McClain healthyplay1@ wrote:

> > >

> > > Amen.

> > >  

> > > Thanks for sharing this!  k

> > > 

> > > 

> > > --- On Thu, 1/13/11, Edgar Owen edgarowen@ wrote:

> > > 

> > > 

> > > From: Edgar Owen edgarowen@

> > > Subject: [Zen] News: Can sitting too much kill you?

> > > To: Zen_Forum@yahoogroups.com

> > > Date: Thursday, January 13, 2011, 5:22 AM

> > > 

> > > 

> > >   

> > > 

> > > 

> > > 

> > > 

> > > 

> > > For all you deluded ones who believe that sitting instead of daily life 
> > > is Zen. 

> > > :-)

> > > 

> > > 

> > > Edgar

> > > 

> > > 

> > > 

> > >   

> > > 

> > > 

> > > 

> > > 

> > > Can sitting too much kill you?

> > > By Travis Saunders | Jan 6, 2011 10:39 AM

> > > We all know that physical activity is important for good 
> > > healthâ€"regardless of your age, gender or body weight, living 
> > > an active lifestyle can improve your quality of life and dramatically 
> > > reduce your risk of death and disease. But even if you are meeting 
> > > current physical activity guidelines by exercising for one hour per day 
> > > (something few Americans manage on a consistent basis), that leaves 15 to 
> > > 16 hours per day when you are not being active. Does it matter how you 
> > > spend those hours, which account for more than 90% of your day? For 
> > > example, does it matter whether you spend those 16 hours sitting on your 
> > > butt, versus standing or walking at a leisurely pace? Fortunately or 
> > > unfortunately, new evidence suggests that it does matter, and in a big 
> > > way.

> > > What is sedentary behavior?

> > > Before we go any further, it’s important that we define 
> > > the term "sedentary behavior". Sedentary behavior is typically defined as 
> > > any behavior with an exceedingly low energy expenditure (defined as <1.5 
> > > metabolic equivalents). In general, this means that almost any time you 
> > > are sitting (e.g. working on a computer, watching TV, driving) or lying 
> > > down, you are engaging in sedentary behavior. There are a few notable 
> > > exceptions when you can be sitting or lying down but still expend high 
> > > energy expenditure (e.g. riding a stationary bike), but in general if you 
> > > are sitting down, you are being sedentary.

> > > The above definition may seem rather intuitive, but this is not the way 
> > > that the term sedentary has been used by exercise science researchers for 
> > > the past 50 years. Up until very recently, referring to someone as 
> > > sedentary meant simply that they were not meeting current guidelines for 
> > > physical activity. In simple terms, if you were exercising for 60+ 
> > > minutes/day, you were considered physically active. If you were 
> > > exercising 10 minutes/day, you were sedentary. Case closed. But as we 
> > > will discuss below, sedentary time is closely associated with health risk 
> > > regardless of how much physical activity you perform on a daily basis. 
> > > Further, it is entirely possible to meet current physical activity 
> > > guidelines while still being incredibly sedentary. Thus, to quote 
> > > researcher Marc Hamilton, sitting too much is not the same as exercising 
> > > too little. (if you take only one thing from this post, let it be that 
> > > quote from Dr Hamilton). Which is why it is so

>  important

> > > that when we use the term "sedentary", we are all on the same page about 
> > > what that means.

> > > Now that we know what sedentary behavior is, let’s look 
> > > at its relationship with health risk.

> > > Epidemiological Evidence

> > > In 2009 Dr Peter Katzmarzyk and colleagues at the Pennington Biomedical 
> > > Research Center published an influential longitudinal paper examining the 
> > > links between time spent sitting and mortality in a sample of more than 
> > > 17,000 Canadians (available here). Not surprisingly, they report that 
> > > time spent sitting was associated with increased risk of all-cause and 
> > > cardiovascular disease mortality (there was no association between 
> > > sitting and deaths due to cancer). But what is fascinating is that the 
> > > relationship between sitting time and mortality was independent of 
> > > physical activity levels. In fact, individuals who sat the most were 
> > > roughly 50% more likely to die during the follow-up period than 
> > > individuals who sat the least, even after controlling for age, smoking, 
> > > and physical activity levels. Further analyses suggested that the 
> > > relationship between sitting time and mortality was also independent of 
> > > body weight. This suggests that all things being equal

> > (body

> > > weight, physical activity levels, smoking, alcohol intake, age, and sex) 
> > > the person who sits more is at a higher risk of death than the person who 
> > > sits less.

> > > The above findings linking excessive sitting with poor health are far 
> > > from isolated. For example, a similar longitudinal study from Australia 
> > > reports that each hour of daily television viewing (a proxy of sedentary 
> > > time) is associated with an 11% increase in the risk of all-cause 
> > > mortality regardless of age, sex, waist circumference, and physical 
> > > activity level. And as my colleagues and I summarize in a recent review 
> > > paper (PDF), numerous epidemiological studies have linked sedentary 
> > > behavior with obesity, cardiometabolic risk, and even some cancers.

> > > New evidence also suggests that in addition to the quantity of sedentary 
> > > time, the quality of sedentary time may also have an important health 
> > > impact. For example, Genevieve Healy and colleagues examined this issue 
> > > in participants of the Australian Diabetes, Obesity and Lifestyle 
> > > (AusDiab) Study. A total of 168 men and women aged 30-87 years wore an 
> > > accelerometer (an objective measure of bodily movement) during all waking 
> > > hours for 7 consecutive days, which allowed the researchers to quantify 
> > > the amount of time that participants spent being sedentary, as well as 
> > > how frequently they interrupted these sedentary activities (e.g. 
> > > standing, walking to the washroom, etc).

> > > What did they find?

> > > The greater the number of breaks taken from sedentary behavior, the lower 
> > > the waist circumference, body mass index, as well as blood lipids and 
> > > glucose tolerance. This was true even if the total amount of sedentary 
> > > time and physical activity time were equal between 
> > > individualsâ€"the one who took breaks more frequently during 
> > > their time at the office or while watching television was less obese and 
> > > had better metabolic health. Importantly, the breaks taken by the 
> > > individuals in this study were of a brief duration (<5 min) and a low 
> > > intensity (such as walking to the washroom, or simply standing).

> > > Taken together, the epidemiological evidence strongly suggests that 
> > > prolonged sitting is an important health risk factor. But what explains 
> > > these relationships? Let’s now look at the multiple 
> > > mechanisms linking sedentary time with increased health risk.

> > > Mechanisms

> > > Reduced Energy Expenditure

> > > Quite obviously (and by definition), when you are sedentary, you are not 
> > > being physically active. And so one common assumption is that people who 
> > > sit more are at increased health risk simply because they are getting 
> > > less physical activity. However, somewhat surprisingly, sitting time and 
> > > physical activity do not appear to be related for most people. For 
> > > example a paper from the European Youth Heart Study published in PLoS 
> > > Medicine reports no association between physical activity and TV watching 
> > > in a sample of nearly 2000 children and teenagers, and other reports 
> > > suggest that there is little evidence that sedentary behavior displaces 
> > > moderate or vigorous physical activity. So while it makes intuitive sense 
> > > that being sedentary reduces energy expenditure, it is likely through the 
> > > reduction of very light intensity physical activity (e.g. standing, 
> > > walking at a slow pace), rather than by reducing the volume of what we 
> > > typically think of as exercise.
 This

> > may

> > > also help explain why the relationship between sedentary behavior and 
> > > health risk are often independent of moderate or vigorous physical 
> > > activity.

> > > Increased Food Intake

> > > In addition to reducing our energy expenditure, sedentary behaviors may 
> > > also promote excess food intake. For example, a recently published study 
> > > in the American Journal of Public Health suggests that the amount of 
> > > commercial television (e.g. television with advertisements) that children 
> > > watch before the age of 6 is associated with increased body weight 5 
> > > years down the road, even after adjustment for other important variables 
> > > including physical activity, socio-economic status and 
> > > mother’s BMI. In contrast, watching non-commercial 
> > > television (DVD’s or TV programs without commercials) 
> > > showed no association with body weight. Similarly, it has also been 
> > > reported that each hour of daily television watching in children is 
> > > associated with an increased consumption of 167 calories per day (PDF), 
> > > mainly through increased consumption of high calorie, low nutrient foods 
> > > (e.g. the foods
 most commonly advertised on television).

>  Much of this is likely

> > just a

> > > learned behaviorâ€"watching TV exposes us to food ads promoting 
> > > unhealthy fare, which is likely to have a disproportionate influence on 
> > > younger viewers. Just as importantly, people may just really enjoy 
> > > munching on food while relaxing on the couch. Either way, excess sitting 
> > > (and TV watching in particular) seems to put us in situations where we 
> > > choose to eat more than we would otherwise.

> > > Physiological Adaptations

> > > I don’t think the mechanisms described 
> > > aboveâ€"that sitting too much may lead to reduced energy 
> > > expenditure and increased food intakeâ€"will come as much of a 
> > > surprise. But what I find truly fascinating is that sedentary behavior 
> > > also results in rapid and dramatic changes in skeletal muscle. For 
> > > example, in rat models, it has been shown that just 1 day of complete 
> > > rest results in dramatic reductions in muscle triglyceride uptake, as 
> > > well as reductions in HDL cholesterol (the good cholesterol). And in 
> > > healthy human subjects, just 5 days of bed rest has been shown to result 
> > > in increased plasma triglycerides and LDL cholesterol, as well as 
> > > increased insulin resistanceâ€"all very bad things. And these 
> > > weren’t small changesâ€"triglyceride levels 
> > > increased by 35%, and insulin resistance by 50%!

> > > These negative changes are likely related to reductions in the activity 
> > > of lipoprotein lipase, an enzyme which allows muscle to uptake fat, 
> > > thereby reducing the amount of fat circulating in the blood (it also 
> > > strongly influences cholesterol levelsâ€"the details can be 
> > > found here). Animal research has shown that lipoprotein lipase activity 
> > > is reduced dramatically after just six hours of sedentary 
> > > behaviorâ€"not unlike a typical day at work or school for many 
> > > individuals. Sedentary behavior may also reduce glucose transporter 
> > > protein content in the muscle, making it more difficult for glucose to be 
> > > taken into the muscle and resulting in higher blood sugar levels. What is 
> > > most interesting to me personally is that these physiological changes in 
> > > skeletal muscle have little or nothing to do with the accumulation of 
> > > body fat, and occur under extremely rapid time-frames. This means that 
> > > both lean and obese
 individuals, and even those with

>  otherwise

> > active

> > > lifestyles, are at increased health risk when they spend excessive 
> > > amounts of time sitting down.

> > > Should we be concerned about the health impact of sedentary behavior?

> > > Yes.

> > > Western society is built around sitting. We sit at work, we sit at 
> > > school, we sit at home, and we sit in our cars as we commute back and 
> > > forth. In fact, a recent survey reports that the average American 
> > > accumulates more than 8 hours of sedentary behavior every 
> > > dayâ€"roughly half of their waking hours. The situation in 
> > > children is, unfortunately, no different. There is evidence that children 
> > > in both Canada and the USA (PDF) accumulate more than 6 hours of 
> > > screen-time (time spent in front of the TV, computer, or other 
> > > screen-based device) on a daily basis. Keep in mind that screen-time is 
> > > almost exclusively sedentary (active video games excluded), and that all 
> > > these hours of sedentary behavior are in addition to the hours and hours 
> > > (and hours) that kids spend sitting at school. In fact, a recent study 
> > > reports that roughly 70% of class time, including physical education 
> > > class, is completely sedentary (while slightly better than
 class time,

>  children

> > were

> > > also sedentary for the majority of lunch and recess).

> > > In short, given the consistent links between sedentary behavior and both 
> > > death and disease, and the ubiquity of sedentary behavior in our society, 
> > > we should be very concerned about the health impact of sedentary behavior.

> > > What is the take-home message?

> > > There is a rapidly accumulating body of evidence which suggests that 
> > > prolonged sitting is very bad for our health, even for lean and otherwise 
> > > physically active individuals. The good news? Animal research suggests 
> > > that simply walking at a leisurely pace may be enough to rapidly undo the 
> > > metabolic damage associated with prolonged sitting, a finding which is 
> > > supported by epidemiological work in humans. So, while there are a lot of 
> > > questions that remain unanswered (e.g. Is there a 
> > > â€Å"safe� amount of daily sedentary time?), the 
> > > evidence seems clear that we should strive to limit the amount of time we 
> > > spend sitting. And when we do have to sit for extended periods of time 
> > > (which, let’s face it, is pretty much every single day 
> > > for many of us) we should take short breaks whenever possible.

> > > Finally, if you take only one thing from this post, let it be 
> > > thisâ€"sitting too much is not the same as exercising too little.

> > >

> >

>





    
     

    
    


 



  





Reply via email to