Very helpful.

Anthony

--- On Thu, 13/1/11, Edgar Owen <edgaro...@att.net> wrote:

From: Edgar Owen <edgaro...@att.net>
Subject: [Zen] News: Can sitting too much kill you?
To: Zen_Forum@yahoogroups.com
Date: Thursday, 13 January, 2011, 8:22 PM

      For all you deluded ones who believe that sitting instead of daily life
is Zen.
:-)
Edgar

Can sitting too much kill you?By Travis Saunders | Jan 6, 2011 10:39 AMWe all
know that physical activity is important for good
health—regardless of your age, gender or body weight, living an active
lifestyle
can improve your quality of life and dramatically reduce your risk of death and
disease. But even if you are meeting current physical activity guidelines by
exercising for one hour per day (something few Americans manage on a consistent
basis), that leaves 15 to 16 hours per day when you are not being
active. Does it matter how you spend those hours, which account for more than
90% of your day? For example, does it matter whether you spend those 16 hours
sitting on your butt, versus standing or walking at a leisurely pace?
Fortunately or unfortunately, new evidence suggests that it does
matter, and in a big way.What is sedentary behavior?Before we go any further,
it’s important that we define the term "sedentary
behavior". Sedentary behavior is typically defined as any behavior with an
exceedingly low energy expenditure (defined as <1.5 metabolic equivalents).
In general, this means that almost any time you are sitting (e.g. working on a
computer, watching TV, driving) or lying down, you are engaging in sedentary
behavior. There are a few notable exceptions when you can be sitting or lying
down but still expend high energy expenditure (e.g. riding a stationary bike),
but in general if you are sitting down, you are being sedentary.The above
definition may seem rather intuitive, but this is not the way that
the term sedentary has been used by exercise science researchers for the past
50
years. Up until very recently, referring to someone as sedentary meant simply
that they were not meeting current guidelines for physical activity. In simple
terms, if you were exercising for 60+ minutes/day, you were considered
physically active. If you were exercising 10 minutes/day, you were sedentary.
Case closed. But as we will discuss below, sedentary time is closely
associated with health risk regardless of how much physical activity you
perform
on a daily basis. Further, it is entirely possible to meet current physical
activity guidelines while still being incredibly sedentary. Thus, to quote
researcher Marc Hamilton, sitting too much is not the same as exercising
too little. (if you take only one thing from this post, let it be that
quote from Dr Hamilton). Which is why it is so important that when we use the
term "sedentary", we are all on the same page about what that means.Now that we
know what sedentary behavior is, let’s look at its relationship
with health risk.Epidemiological EvidenceIn 2009 Dr Peter Katzmarzyk and
colleagues at the Pennington Biomedical
Research Center published an influential longitudinal paper examining the links
between time spent sitting and mortality in a sample of more than 17,000
Canadians (available here). Not surprisingly, they report that time spent
sitting was associated with increased risk of all-cause and cardiovascular
disease mortality (there was no association between sitting and deaths due to
cancer). But what is fascinating is that the relationship between sitting time
and mortality was independent of physical activity levels. In fact,
individuals who sat the most were roughly 50% more likely to die during
the follow-up period than individuals who sat the least, even after controlling
for age, smoking, and physical activity levels. Further analyses
suggested that the relationship between sitting time and mortality was also
independent of body weight. This suggests that all things being equal (body
weight, physical activity levels, smoking, alcohol intake, age, and sex) the
person who sits more is at a higher risk of death than the person who sits
less.The above findings linking excessive sitting with poor health are far from
isolated. For example, a similar longitudinal study from Australia reports that
each
hour of daily television viewing (a proxy of sedentary time) is associated with
an 11% increase in the risk of all-cause mortality regardless of age, sex,
waist
circumference, and physical activity level. And as my colleagues and I
summarize
in a recent review paper (PDF), numerous epidemiological studies
have linked sedentary behavior with obesity, cardiometabolic risk, and even
some
cancers.New evidence also suggests that in addition to the quantity of
sedentary
time, the quality of sedentary time may also have an important health
impact. For example, Genevieve Healy and colleagues examined this issue in
participants of the Australian Diabetes, Obesity and Lifestyle (AusDiab) Study.
total of 168 men and women aged 30-87 years wore an accelerometer (an objective
measure of bodily movement) during all waking hours for 7 consecutive days,
which allowed the researchers to quantify the amount of time that participants
spent being sedentary, as well as how frequently they interrupted these
sedentary activities (e.g. standing, walking to the washroom, etc).What did
they find?The greater the number of breaks taken from sedentary behavior, the
lower the waist circumference, body mass index, as well as blood lipids and
glucose tolerance. This was true even if the total amount of sedentary
time and physical activity time were equal between individuals—the one who took
breaks more frequently during their time at the office or while watching
television was less obese and had better metabolic health. Importantly, the
breaks taken by the individuals in this study were of a brief duration (<5
min) and a low intensity (such as walking to the washroom, or simply
standing).Taken together, the epidemiological evidence strongly suggests that
prolonged
sitting is an important health risk factor. But what explains these
relationships? Let’s now look at the multiple mechanisms linking sedentary time
with increased health risk.MechanismsReduced Energy ExpenditureQuite obviously
(and by definition), when you are sedentary, you are not
being physically active. And so one common assumption is that people who sit
more are at increased health risk simply because they are getting less physical
activity. However, somewhat surprisingly, sitting time and physical activity do
not appear to be related for most people. For example a paper from the European
Youth Heart Study published in PLoS Medicine reports no association between
physical
activity and TV watching in a sample of nearly 2000 children and teenagers, and
other reports suggest that there is little evidence that
sedentary behavior displaces moderate or vigorous physical activity. So while
it
makes intuitive sense that being sedentary reduces energy expenditure, it is
likely through the reduction of very light intensity physical activity (e.g.
standing, walking at a slow pace), rather than by reducing the volume of what
we
typically think of as exercise. This may also help explain why the relationship
between sedentary behavior and health risk are often independent of moderate or
vigorous physical activity.Increased Food IntakeIn addition to reducing our
energy expenditure, sedentary behaviors may also
promote excess food intake. For example, a recently published study in the
American Journal of Public Health suggests that the
amount of commercial television (e.g. television with advertisements) that
children watch before the age of 6 is associated with increased body weight 5
years down the road, even after adjustment for other important variables
including physical activity, socio-economic status and mother’s BMI. In
contrast, watching non-commercial television (DVD’s or TV programs without
commercials) showed no association with body weight. Similarly, it has also
been
reported that each hour of daily television watching in children is associated
with an increased consumption of 167 calories per day (PDF), mainly through
increased consumption of high calorie, low nutrient foods (e.g. the foods most
commonly advertised on television). Much of this is likely just a learned
behavior—watching TV exposes us to food ads promoting unhealthy fare, which is
likely to have a disproportionate influence on younger viewers. Just as
importantly, people may just really enjoy munching on food while relaxing on
the
couch. Either way, excess sitting (and TV watching in particular) seems to put
us in situations where we choose to eat more than we would
otherwise.Physiological AdaptationsI don’t think the mechanisms described
above—that sitting too much may lead
to reduced energy expenditure and increased food intake—will come as much of a
surprise. But what I find truly fascinating is that sedentary behavior
also results in rapid and dramatic changes in skeletal muscle. For
example, in rat models, it has been shown that just 1 day of
complete rest results in dramatic reductions in muscle triglyceride uptake, as
well as reductions in HDL cholesterol (the good cholesterol). And in healthy
human subjects, just 5 days of bed rest has been shown to result in increased
plasma triglycerides and LDL cholesterol, as well as increased insulin
resistance—all very bad things. And these weren’t small changes—triglyceride
levels increased by 35%, and insulin resistance by 50%!These negative changes
are likely related to reductions in the activity of
lipoprotein lipase, an enzyme which allows muscle to uptake fat, thereby
reducing the amount of fat circulating in the blood (it also strongly
influences
cholesterol levels—the details can be found here). Animal
research has shown that lipoprotein lipase activity is reduced dramatically
after just six hours of sedentary behavior—not unlike a typical day at work or
school for many individuals. Sedentary behavior may also reduce glucose
transporter protein content in the muscle, making it more difficult for glucose
to be taken into the muscle and resulting in higher blood sugar levels. What is
most interesting to me personally is that these physiological changes in
skeletal muscle have little or nothing to do with the accumulation of body fat,
and occur under extremely rapid time-frames. This means that both lean
and obese individuals, and even those with otherwise active lifestyles, are at
increased health risk when they spend excessive amounts of time sitting
down.Should we be concerned about the health impact of sedentary
behavior?Yes.Western society is built around sitting. We sit at work, we sit at
school, we sit at home, and we sit in our cars as we commute back and
forth. In fact, a recent
survey reports that the average American accumulates more than 8 hours of
sedentary behavior every day—roughly half of their waking hours. The situation
in children is, unfortunately, no different. There is evidence that children in
both Canada and the USA (PDF)
accumulate more than 6 hours of screen-time (time spent in front of the TV,
computer, or other screen-based device) on a daily basis. Keep in mind that
screen-time is almost exclusively sedentary (active video games excluded), and
that all these hours of sedentary behavior are in addition to the hours and
hours (and hours) that kids spend sitting at school. In fact, a recent study
reports that roughly 70% of class time, including
physical education class, is completely sedentary (while slightly better than
class time, children were also sedentary for the majority of lunch and
recess).In short, given the consistent links between sedentary behavior and
both
death and disease, and the ubiquity of sedentary behavior in our society, we
should be very concerned about the health impact of sedentary behavior.What is
the take-home message?There is a rapidly accumulating body of evidence which
suggests that
prolonged sitting is very bad for our health, even for lean and otherwise
physically active individuals. The good news? Animal
research suggests that simply walking at a leisurely pace may be enough to
rapidly undo the metabolic damage associated with prolonged sitting, a finding
which is supported by epidemiological work in humans. So, while there are a
lot of questions that remain unanswered (e.g. Is there a “safe” amount
of daily sedentary time?), the evidence seems clear that we should strive to
limit the amount of time we spend sitting. And when we do have to sit for
extended periods of time (which, let’s face it, is pretty much every single day
for many of us) we should take short breaks whenever possible.Finally, if you
take only one thing from this post, let it be this—sitting
too much is not the same as exercising too little.