From: Mel <gunnar19632...@yahoo.com.au>
Subject: [Zen] beginner's mind, romantic moments, etc(to Rose/list)
To: Zen_Forum@yahoogroups.com
Date: Friday, January 14, 2011, 11:11 AM

      Greetings Rose and forum

--- On Fri, 14/1/11, Rose P <things_r...@yahoo.com> wrote:

ROSE: Is this something to do with the fact that we're all practising, and
no-one really ever actually achieves beginners mind 100%? But still, beginners
mind is something that we might agree is a goal (not the right word) of
sorts......

MEL: The beginner's mind is there, and was always there. It will never go away,
but it does get covered by desires, demands, and other short-comings we place
upon ourselves

ROSE: Conversely, trying to assess the minds of others would seem to be fraught
with mucho danger! Sometimes we're bang on, most of the time we're not. This I
know from personal experience.

MEL: Of course. Habitual/regular mind-reading (eg. in romance) would be quite
unnatural for a Zen way of life. We have eyes and ears, and what we see or
hear, is what we get

ROSE: If I was given flowers and chocolates I suspect that my automatic thought
would be - wow, what did I do to deserve these? So I guess the cynicism would
be towards myself, not towards the giver.

MEL: Or, a woman could/would think...

- ...Hmmm..is he moving in on me? I don't even like him!

- I hate flowers, and I'm tryin' to lose some freakin' weight!(*big laughter)

- Oh s**t, how do I brush this guy off?

in peace

Mel