--- In Zen_Forum@yahoogroups.com, A Sahal <A.Sahal@...> wrote:

> >   Hi Anil. Thank you. One more good reason to meditate! Say, in your
> > opinion,
> > is the relationship between brain area activations and states of
> > consciousness causal or correlative?
>
> There's insufficient data for a meaningful answer. We have NO idea what
> consciousness is-we can't even agree on a definition really.  Francis Crick
> (of
> DNA fame) spent his last few years investigating consciousness and came up
> with
> some interesting ideas on physical correlates of it, but nothing of deep
> understanding.
>
> >And what about qualia?
>
> Nothing.
>
> > Do you subscribe to the cognitive paradigm endorsed by the likes of
> > Dennet and Pinker?
>
> Psychologists?  How dare you associate a real scientist with Psychologists!
> ;-)

  Thank you for your frank and concise replies. Did Crick's work involve the
'microtubules' speculations of Roger Penrose? Ironic
isn't it that we can't even define that which is so apparent! Have you read the
work of John Searle?
Steve
"It is like an eye that sees, but cannot see itself! It is like a sword that
cuts, but cannot cut itself!" -The Zenrin
"All Buddhas and all sentient beings are no different from the One Mind. In
this One Mind there is neither arising nor ceasing, no name or form, no long or
short, no large or small, and neither existence nor non-existence. It
transcends all limitations of name, word and relativity, and it is as boundless
as the Great Void." -Huang Po